PO NOW: Say Anything - Hebrews

This is my favorite band and has been since 2007. I'll lay that out now.

I didn't love A,MD but I thought it was a solid release. I'm excited to hear the rest of Hebrews.

Mcgurik, I've met Max after every Say Anything/solo show in town. Matter of fact last time he played here (The Social, Orlando) he jumped into the crowd at the end of the encore. And he stayed until everyone got a picture or he got to sign their memorabilia. Security kicked him out after awhile, but he stood outside talking to us for quite awhile afterward.

Jealous. Maybe he got less salty after he got married, or maybe he's got a beef with Philly. I've seen him probably a dozen times (starting during the S/T tour, the A, MD tour, a couple acoustic shows, Eisley/Tallhart shows where max and sherri play a quick opening set) and not once has he stopped by after the show. Even when other kids would beg the merch booth guy or tweet at him (both kinda obnoxious).

I think Say Anything ran a good course and that it's time to hang up the towel for that particular act. The guy clearly has some original thoughts, but he made his world view pretty well known with Is a Real Boy and the prior unreleased albums/EPs. Every subsequent album was, to me, an attempt to rekindle that flame, but with diminishing success.

Seven years ago I considered Max Bemis the most clever modern songwriter and I cannot stress how accurate I find this to be all these years later.

This is my favorite band and has been since 2007. I'll lay that out now.

I didn't love A,MD but I thought it was a solid release. I'm excited to hear the rest of Hebrews.

Mcgurik, I've met Max after every Say Anything/solo show in town. Matter of fact last time he played here (The Social, Orlando) he jumped into the crowd at the end of the encore. And he stayed until everyone got a picture or he got to sign their memorabilia. Security kicked him out after awhile, but he stood outside talking to us for quite awhile afterward.

Your experience was very different than mine. I've only gotten to see them once and just as soon as the show was over Max and Sherri and one or two others headed into the bus. The new bassist who was in TAI hung out but he was the only one I got to meet. Awesome dude, by the way. After the show they played, I wasn't even really mad that I didn't get to meet him. The musicians did awesome, but Max was like an attention-seeking "I'm gonna do the weirdest shit just to look odd" robot. I think he's just gotten tired over the years, and I don't blame him. We just ended up hanging out with Murder by Death for a while.

Holy shit a lot of people hate max bemis here

I think you misunderstand us. We don't hate Max Bemis. We respect the work he's done in the past and are disappointed by what's come from him since. If I didn't care about this band so much when I was younger, I could give a shit less if they started sucking. But the fact that this band was SO good back then and to see what he's been writing since is just... saddening, honestly. If you like Anarchy, more power to you. If you have the highest of hopes for this album, great. I hope you're no as let down as I was when I heard Anarchy. The people saying he should hang it up aren't saying that because they hate him, but because they're being realistic in saying that his time may have passed. I'm not sure if I agree with them or not, but I don't think they're wrong in saying it.

Which would be fun

Maybe if this were 2007. Or even 2009. I think once S/T (which I love) came out, the classic Say Anything was over.

The people saying he should hang it up aren't saying that because they hate him, but because they're being realistic in saying that his time may have passed. I'm not sure if I agree with them or not, but I don't think they're wrong in saying it.

To be clear, I think Say Anything as a "thing" is tired, but Max is still a formidable songwriter and collaborator. Two Tongues was a great project, and it proved he can still do great work if he finds the right partners. I'd also like to hear more Perma and work with the other DuPrees.

Chris Walla is a great inspiration here. DCFC is equally as tired and Ben Gibbard should call it quits, but Walla has found a great career as a producer. Max already manages a small label and I imagine he could still maintain a very healthy income as a full-time producer for many years to come.

To be clear, I think Say Anything as a "thing" is tired, but Max is still a formidable songwriter and collaborator. Two Tongues was a great project, and it proved he can still do great work if he finds the right partners. I'd also like to hear more Perma and work with the other DuPrees.

Chris Walla is a great inspiration here. DCFC is equally as tired and Ben Gibbard should call it quits, but Walla has found a great career as a producer. Max already manages a small label and I imagine he could still maintain a very healthy income as a full-time producer for many years to come.

Max pretty much makes more than most of us with his song shop alone.

Of course. I didn't exactly agree with the statement that he should sell car insurance, I just think maybe he needs a little break from being in a full time band. I liked the Perma record. I'm not sure when Two Tongues came out, but I think it was before or around the same time as S/T, and I'm mostly referencing things he's done lately, so I don't know if that's a fair comparison or not. I hope the new Two Tongues stuff will be as good as the last. I do agree that he has a musical future ahead of him, even if it's just producing and making music with friends and stuff every now and again. I agree that Say Anything is all but done unless this albums somehow comes out of nowhere and blows us all away. I think there's also a possibility of them just taking a break for a few years. Maybe just stop for an album cycle or two. Hell, maybe they can grab Colby and Alex after things have settled and make some more genuine music instead of pumping out songs like he does in song shop. Speaking of that, I think it was a good idea when it was created, but now it's just grown too large and that has to be a huge strain on his writing. Could be wrong. Who knows. Just thoughts.

Just got a chance to listen to it. I like it, the latter half of the song is definitely better than the first, but maybe I wasn't paying enough attention. Also I thought Max went on this huge rant saying how he understood that people wanted Sherri out of Say Anything's stuff, so he was going to keep her collaboration relegated to Perma only? Yet a decent chunk of the album "feat Sherri DuPree" -_- Chauntelle will be interesting to hear though. Just wish he'd keep it Say Anything instead of the Dupree-Bemis Family and Friends Sing-A-Long.

Also, before on twitter I'm pretty sure he called this a "defining punk album" - with no guitars. Bemis, get your head out of your ass. 

this thread got kinda weird, as i feel like there's a lot of misunderstanding going on. but i share a handful of sentiments expressed above, namely that perhaps it's time for say anything to hang up the towel strictly as a project, as i don't think it has the same creative direction as it used to, and especially because max has so many different creative directions at once i don't know if even he can tease them apart.

i also thought max was one of the most clever and talented young modern songwriters a decade ago. and five years later i still felt the same way. but it's 2014 and the times, they are a-changing

I agree with you about Say Anything. It's now the opposite of what it portends to be. But DCFC? man even on an average record like Codes and Keys it's still pretty great, they are always at least trying to do something interesting musically.  

I think you misunderstand us. We don't hate Max Bemis. We respect the work he's done in the past and are disappointed by what's come from him since. If I didn't care about this band so much when I was younger, I could give a shit less if they started sucking. But the fact that this band was SO good back then and to see what he's been writing since is just... saddening, honestly. If you like Anarchy, more power to you. If you have the highest of hopes for this album, great. I hope you're no as let down as I was when I heard Anarchy. The people saying he should hang it up aren't saying that because they hate him, but because they're being realistic in saying that his time may have passed. I'm not sure if I agree with them or not, but I don't think they're wrong in saying it.

But, still man, in reality, it's ONE album that every one seems to be freaking out over and taking it too far in my opinion. While i don't really have the highest hopes for this album per say, there has been so many bands that have had a sour album and bounced back from it completely; Dinosaur Jr, Metallica, Bush, etc. 

Again, I just think everybody is taking one bad album way too far.

But, still man, in reality, it's ONE album that every one seems to be freaking out over and taking it too far in my opinion. While i don't really have the highest hopes for this album per say, there has been so many bands that have had a sour album and bounced back from it completely; Dinosaur Jr, Metallica, Bush, etc. 

Again, I just think everybody is taking one bad album way too far.

Personal curiosity which Dinosaur Jr. Is universally looked at as worse than others. I definitely have my favorites from all 3 decades they released but there are some I rarely listen to anymore.

Personal curiosity which Dinosaur Jr. Is universally looked at as worse than others. I definitely have my favorites from all 3 decades they released but there are some I rarely listen to anymore.

It's all speculative and i know i'm going to get shit, but i didn't really like Farm that much. Don't get me wrong though thats the ONLY album i didn't care for.

I really don't think it's fair to Dinosaur Jr to compare Say Anything's most recent work to Farm  :ph34r:

im not comparing them to dinosaur jr obviously. I'm just saying that a band can have a sour album (maybe dino wasn't the best example) and then bounce back from it. everybody is totally overreacting and saying say anything is over, when it was only 1 album that wasn't well received!

B)

im not comparing them to dinosaur jr obviously. I'm just saying that a band can have a sour album (maybe dino wasn't the best example) and then bounce back from it. everybody is totally overreacting and saying say anything is over, when it was only 1 album that wasn't well received!

B)

I can agree here. Max is not the same guy that wrote his early work. For better or for worse he still loves music with a passion enough to make records. It may not get critical acclaim from his old school followers but it will get attention and as long as he enjoys making it than the album was put out and done the way it was for the right reason. You can tell his relationship with Sheri definitely impacted Anarchy its pretty obvious its gonna be even bigger of an influence here (especially since he is a dad now).

I think if I were buds with Max, regardless of how this album turns out, I would suggest either scaling back or ending Song Shop, taking a year or so off touring and writing, and just take time to relax and be a dad. I really do think he's spreading himself too thin and wearing himself out. When his best work (according to the vast majority of people) was being made, that was pretty much all he had going on (besides drugs and sex, but, y'know...), whereas now he's a husband, a father, runs a label imprint, writes comics, runs Song Shop, and works on three band projects. I'm glad he's getting to do so many things he loves (he deserves it), but it seriously is a ton of stuff and I think it'd be beneficial to take some time to reassess. Personally, I hope we don't see the end of Say Anything for a long, long time, but I wouldn't be offended if we didn't hear anything for 3 or 4 years if he came back with a killer album.

All that being said, Six Six Six is undeniably growing on me. Still feels weak, but I am enjoying it.

Something I just thought of, could the reason it's a "no guitars" album be due to the fact that the Turner brothers are doing their own thing with XO?

I believe they are still touring with SA so it's not that they have left playing with the band or anything. Besides, Max records and writes everything (besides drums) usually so I'd imagine the decision to have no guitars was just a creative one.

I believe they are still touring with SA so it's not that they have left playing with the band or anything. Besides, Max records and writes everything (besides drums) usually so I'd imagine the decision to have no guitars was just a creative one.

I know that he records it all himself. My thought was more so that of them playing on tour. I figured XO would be touring on their own.