Lenco L62 VS Pro-Ject RPM4

Hi all,

I am new here as you can all tell. I have posted the same question on Audio Karma so please excuse me if some members have already seem this question.

I will start by specifying my setup (pictures follow at the end). I own a cyrus (with an external PSX) and my speakers are KEF Referene 102.

I have owned the Lenco L62 for just about a year now (and this is my first turntable). Recently I've gotten a lot of popping sounds while playing records. If I play around with the wires behind the turntable it may quite them down. Conversely I blew fuses, twice already (!!!) in my (pre-)amp's power supply unit. The hifi man I bought this stuff off says that he can swap the Lenco, with a surcharge, to a Pro-Ject RPM4 (http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-4425-discontinued-project-rpm4-turntable.aspx).
Please note all, I am not an expert in the field and am just starting out as a wannabe audiophile.

So,

1. is this really an upgrade?
  2. which turntable better fits my gear?
  3. why has the RPM4 been discontinued? Any serious flaws?

Thanks ever so much

(Disclaimer: I have not read, only skimmed the very lengthy Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*)

20160619_152231-jpg.749698

20160619_152239-jpg.749697

20160619_152253-jpg.749695

OM 5E

20160619_152306-jpg.749694

1 hour ago, Dionysos1 said:
  1. is this really an upgrade?
  2. which turntable better fits my gear?
  3. why has the RPM4 been discontinued? Any serious flaws?

I'll start with a question before giving some answers, why can't your guy fix the Lenco?

1. Simple answer probably, longer answer depends on ho much the surcharge is, the RPM4 has a better arm than the Lenco but no by that much and all things considered if the main bearing on the Lenco is good it should be better than the Project and the same should be true of the motor but the Project is a lot newer so as they both stand now the bearing and motor on the Lenco could both be past their best, they are pretty bullet proof but time can be cruel if not looked after.

With Lenco's it's generally the idler drive tables that are desirable so the L62 being a belt drive counts against it as far as Lenco's are concerned.

2. Whichever one best suits your ears is more the question

3. Normal manufacturer obsolescence nothing more so no major flaws that I can think of.

if it were me I'd try both and see which I'm happiest with sound wise. If the Lenco sounds better than the Project then get it fixed somewhere else if your can't or won't do it.

The upgrade path with the Lenco is easier if you are that way inclined and it sounds like basic wiring issues with the Lenco so a rewire of the audio wiring with some decent cable would yield an upgrade in itself anyway.

I expect your pre amp fuse popping is something else but completely.

Thanks!
As per your question @allenh I don't know why, simply the answer I got from him is why not just upgrade to this turntable coming his way...

Also, you suspect fuses pop without any correlation to the Lenco, so does someone on audio karma. Fact is though, neither my CD player, a moded marantz CD 63, nor, heavens help me, my TV set pop fuses or crackle via the speakers... In that case, why are you both so certain it is something else? (again, I just wish to learn)

Not certain it's something else but if you have problems with the audio wires it shouldn't be popping fuses in your pre amp so I'd be surprised if that was the case, and I assume these are power fuses that are popping?

If you are popping power fuses in any piece of kit the problem pretty much always lies in that bit of kit not somewhere else