Attn: canadian record labels

i've been thinking about starting a record label for a few months now, but need to learn a lot of things before throwing myself into this project. also, i just saw a commercial on this message board:

http://www.duplication.ca/

looks like they just started to press records, they are located near montreal, anybody knows if they are good? or what pressing plant do you use for mastering/pressing?

i'm not looking for start this project right now, but i'm slowly starting to save money for this..so hopefully in a few months i will be beginning this, that's it if it worth it? because i know that some labels are having a hard time and they are based in the u.s, so i can't imagine the trouble to start a label in canada, with shipping those records here, etc..

Guest kylewilliam

not to mention you may be able to get certain subsidies from the government! i am not an expert, as i moved out of oh canada years ago, but check into it!

you can get master laquers pressed in Toronto, but the last replication plant i was aware of went belly up...they were in Quebec.

I saw that ad as well - when you go to their website, there is zero information on pressing, which gives me the initial impression that they are a broker for a pressing plant...

oh yeah, save extra for shipping and taxes for importing at the border. It's not a big deal, but it will easily run between one and two grand for those things right there, for an order of 1000 12" records. Also, look at the fine print with some of the pressing plants in the US. Some of them are cool, while others will do things like charging several hundred dollars just to ship test pressings to you. Not for the manufacture of the test pressings, just to put 5 records in a box and ship them to Canada!!! Like it's 1987 and the CND dollar is worth nothing!!!

yeah, that pressing plant is probably good for dj's, or they probably press their records in the states? but anyways, i am going to choose pirates press.

''Like it's 1987 and the CND dollar is worth nothing!! ''

yeah, i'm hoping that the CND dollar stays high for a few months, even tho it's not good for companies that imports in the states.

thanks for the help :)