Need advice (patches, sewing etc)

I can't imagine too many of you would know much about this but I'll give it a shot.

I'm making a few patches from a t shirt. They'll be going on a leather vest. I'm looking for a way to make the t shirt patches a little thicker so they'll be more sturdy and see on easier.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this? My idea is to get a sheet of canvas or something similar and Bond the canvas to the shirt material with some sort of fabric adhesive and then sew the patch on the leather after trimming all the edges and whatnot.

Someone else suggested I use fusible web but I don't think that'll work on leather.

Who has any suggestions? Or should I just sew the t shirt patch straight on it with no backing or stiffener?

I appreciate any help!

doing this with an electric wizard tee i just got.

use "iron-on interfacing" to back the shirt.

cut a piece big enough to back the design, iron it on, then cut out in any shape you like and sew the tee and interface together (interface bond is temporary). Then sew the patch wherever you like.

i think id be with you on the canvas. the fusible web never works and its really thin. no matter what though, it'll still look a little funny going on leather tho, and the cotton will still get ratty even with the extra weight

I'm not too worried with it getting ratty, I just don't want it to look thin and crappy. Ive sewn fabric onto denim tons of times for other vests. This is the first leather one I'm doing. I think I'm gonna try out the canvas idea and see how that works. But in all honesty, as long as the fabric gets attached to the leather it'll be fine.

Thanks for the input so far!!