Ror-19 Why the Wires Out Now: Rorschach Skate Deck 1: Bizhan Khodebandeh

why+the+wires - All the Dead Astronauts Out Now!

cexu_37497194591.jpg

We are stoked to announce is the release of why+the+wires 3rd LP All the Dead Astronauts. All LPs are on 180 gram vinyl with a slick UV matte finish to the jackets. Each LP includes a download for the full album. why+the+wires sent their second LP(an actual vinyl LP too!) to Rorschach HQ last year, and it was on constant repeat for a while. It was a no brainer to work with these guys on this release. You can stream the whole album at here and purchase it here.

Formed in Ithaca, New York in 2008, Why+The+Wires is an unruly mixture of saxophone, accordion, chiming guitars and jittery rhythms, all held together by a tuneful, post-punk frenzy. The songs are tight-wound, nonlinear affairs. Angular but not coldly mathematical. Melodic but never flogging the standard verse-chorus formula. Instead these are rough-throated gospels, shambling shout-alongs, insistent rave-ups interspersed with brooding instrumental stretches. Comparisons have ranged from Sweep the Leg Johnny and Hot Snakes to Archers of Loaf, Silver Mt. Zion and June of 44. The median age of the band is 35. The average height, about six foot. They are not snappy dressers but they pay their taxes on time.

And now arrives All These Dead Astronauts the band’s third album in four years, and their richest, most focused fiasco yet. By turns blistering and moody, euphoric and sprawled, the album is a testament to the somewhat dubious prospect of maturing without mellowing; growing, yes, but growing weirder, feral, with rambunctious precision and a sore throat the next day. Songs about failed pioneers. Failed parachutes. Failed bodies. Successful drunks.

But mostly the album is an ode to our stupefied survival in a stupefied century, the moats we carve around our communities and the experimental adventures that drag us forward, anxious and howling; the ways we secretly rally, and the sublime noise with which we hunger and thrive.

Rorschach Skate Deck 1: Richmond Kraken by

Bizhan Khodabandeh

cexu_5e5a6ebb5778142022e1df5552c999e6large.jpg

We just launched a Kickstarter to start a new Skate Deck project. Over the years while operating Rorschach Records I have had the privilege to work with an amazing group of artists to create the covers for various releases. Collaborating with this talented group of individuals, whom I not only admire for their work, but who have also become great friends, has been one of the most exciting things for me about the label. Two artists that have provided art to Rorschach releases have been Sean Mahan and Jim Callahan, both of whom have released awesome skate decks of their work. When you see a deck like one of theirs, it becomes an internal debate whether to set it up to skate or to hang it in your house as a piece of art.

This led to a lightbulb going off in my head (or skate deck smacking me in it) - to work with some of my favorite artists to design a new series of skate decks as part of Rorschach. And you can make the decision to skate it or hang it. The obvious choice to lead this project off was one of my best buds in the world, and the artist for the first Rorschach release, Bizhan Khodebandeh. Bizhan designed a Richmond-themed Clash of the Titans-inspired deck that we have dubbed the Richmond Kraken: The Battle of Hollywood Falls.

With this project we have a couple of options of other Rorschach and Bizhan goodies. We intended to keep these decks and other decks in this series affordable and with one time runs limited to 50 pieces for each deck.

There are a bunch of cool incentives of Bizhan's art and his past projects. We already have about 20 of these claimed for, so it is highly recommended to pre-order this through the Kickstarter.

New Webstore and T-Shirts:

cexu_300.jpg

We just launched a new webstore here http://rorschachreco...bigcartel.com/. It is the first legit webstore we have had in almost a year since our website got hacked. As the store has been getting prepared, we have also been moving stuff out of a storage unit where it has been stored for a while now, and have found out of print titles, t-shirts thought sold out, and other weird variants. Plus all cds are now $2. Except a small distro to start appearing in the webstore over the next couple of months, mainly just things we trade for and other records related to bands we have put out. You can always visit our full distro at Rumors in Richmond. Labels we have not stopped trading, please contact [email protected] to trade.

To celebrate the launch of the webstore and being an active label again we reprinted the Rorschach shirts Barf designed a couple of years ago. These have never made it online until now. They were printed by our buds at Itty Bitty Press and are on white anvil t-shirts. These shirts have a giant centipede destroying all of Richmond's landmarks, including the famous Bojangles statues.

Rorschach Bandcamp

Rorschach Store

Rorschach Facebook