Upgrading advice

So after a good six months of starting to get into vinyl again I decided to get serious about it and started to want to upgrade my set up. First thing I did was get a better pre amp (tc 750) and a better cartridge (shure m44g). Right now I'm using my old computer speakers they sound decent, but I know my set up can sound better. My brother gave me his harman kardon receiver, its suppose to be good, but it doesn't has a phono input. I'm thinking of getting these klh speakers on craiglist. My big wondering since I'm gonna be going to pre amp to receiver how does this usually sound will I get this humming? Should I try to sell this receiver and pre amp and get a vintage receiver? Or should I get leapster amp and do pre amp to amp?

You only get humming from crap power supplies and bad grounding usually so you shouldn't get any humming.

Get some speakers and try it, either way it should sound a lot better than your computer speakers and you can always upgrade from there. Also make sure you use decent cables and speaker wire, they don't need to be expensive just decent. For now work with what you have but try and get some decent stuff in the future, there are a few threads on here that mention cheap decent cables.

You only get humming from crap power supplies and bad grounding usually so you shouldn't get any humming.

Get some speakers and try it, either way it should sound a lot better than your computer speakers and you can always upgrade from there. Also make sure you use decent cables and speaker wire, they don't need to be expensive just decent. For now work with what you have but try and get some decent stuff in the future, there are a few threads on here that mention cheap decent cables.

how would I fix the power supply I know how to ground my turntable when I dj and used a mixer I never got that sound

To be honest if it's because it's a crap PSU it will be the one in the speakers and getting rid of them will be the most cost effective way of getting rid of the hum.

Get some speakers for the receiver you've been given and things should sound a lot better.

it was my cheap Pyle pre amp that made the humming sound I hooked up my new tc 750 and I don't hear anything it's amazing now I'm getting new speakers next week

Good news, 50/50 chance and my money was on the speakers PSU but it had to be one of them, anyway welcome to the wonderful wallet emptying world of hifi upgrading.

Is the HK receiver a 2 channel (left & right) one or a multi channel (Left/Right/Front/Back/Centre/-sub woofer) one for AV? If it's AV it probably won't be great at 2 channel for hifi use as they seldom are but it's free and will do a job until you can get a proper hifi one but if it's an older 2 channel one it might not be the height of high fidelity but will do a perfectly good job for you.

Good news, 50/50 chance and my money was on the speakers PSU but it had to be one of them, anyway welcome to the wonderful wallet emptying world of hifi upgrading.

Is the HK receiver a 2 channel (left & right) one or a multi channel (Left/Right/Front/Back/Centre/-sub woofer) one for AV? If it's AV it probably won't be great at 2 channel for hifi use as they seldom are but it's free and will do a job until you can get a proper hifi one but if it's an older 2 channel one it might not be the height of high fidelity but will do a perfectly good job for you.

i believe it's a surround sound one

Ay recommendation for a good affordable hifi one?

My bro told me it was a really good and it weighs a ton

Btw I just ordered a pair of dayton b652 speakers

There's bucket loads of choice for a proper hifi one both new and old and someone in the US is probabaly best placed as what is good value here in England isn't always the same in the US. Have a look at the local thrift stores and yes weight is always a good sign even with your HK, it means that the power supply is big enough for the job. for vintage The usual made in Japan Pioneer, Technics, Sansui, Yamaha, Rotel etc. Will work.

The great thing about the internet is you can stand in front of an amp in a store and with a smart phone google it or even look at what they have sold for on ebay to give you an idea.

That HK will work perfectly well for now and allow you some time do some research, Like all AV amps it's intended for making the bangs in a movie big and not the finer deatils of music sound good so you are not using it for it's intended purpose and it will always be a compromise for hifi use.