something is killing my tweeter

Do you have a multimeter to measure for DC offset from the amp? 

I had the same issue with one of my ProAc's. One tweeter was dead, replaced the voice coil and then that started having issues a few months later. Luckily for me, the original voice coil dying was just from old age, and the replacement had gotten debris in it which was causing distortion. I cleaned it out and it's been fine since. 

I think DC offset is usually more harmful to the woofers, but could still be something to look into. 

Has to be slightly high DC current coming from somewhere and I doubt it's a crossover problem as I would expect you would hear that before there was any driver damage so it's got the be your output stage on that side, getting the amplifier outputs checked will be the answer though.

There should be test point in there for you to check the idle current and the bias etc. so see if you can turn up a service manual.

As an thought I expect it's dumping just a little too much current on that side when you power off and it's taking out the weakest link which will be the tweeter.