Ortofon Red 2M VS Grado Prestige Blue

As long as you grasp that you'll be fine

Do you use your receiver as an AV amp in that you use it with video and gaming devices as well as your turntable/CD player etc?

Either way the first thing I would change would be the front pair of speakers, those would be adequate as surround speakers but if you had some decent floor standers as your main speakers you shouldn't need the subwoofer for audio.

Thanks for the input.  I guess front speakers will be the next thing on my list to upgrade.  I've been very happy with my Polk Audio speakers, so I may look to what they have to offer.   Can you tell me some minimum specs or measurables to look for to ensure I'm getting decent quality? 

Also, what is your opinion on cables?  Do the high dollar cables really make a huge difference or should I not waste my money? 

Ortofon 2M Blue is far superior to Red if you've yet to buy your cartridge.

Yes I've read that. though I haven't really understood why specifically.  The Debut Carbon comes with the Red and it is highly reviewed in it's own right.  I think I'll just sit with that one for a while and upgrade my speakers before I change the stylus.

Thanks for the input.  I guess front speakers will be the next thing on my list to upgrade.  I've been very happy with my Polk Audio speakers, so I may look to what they have to offer.   Can you tell me some minimum specs or measurables to look for to ensure I'm getting decent quality? 

Also, what is your opinion on cables?  Do the high dollar cables really make a huge difference or should I not waste my money? 

There are a few general rules which I'm sure ive typed out and linked in these forums many many times but it really is all a matter of taste.

You need to listen to this stuff and a set of speakers that look good on paper and sound good with one amplifier might well sound utter rubbish with another, basically though you want to keep the impedance within the range your amplifier quotes, the same with ampliers RMS power against the speakers range and if that power output is quite low then the sensitivity needs to be in the higher numbers, as I say that is very very general as moving to one end of a range in one value will affect the others for better or for worse.

I don't know how many times I've said this on these forums but there really is no substitute for listening to this stuff even if it's in someone else's system because audio is such a subjective thing.

This is why reviews can be so misleading like the ones you've red for the Ortofon, it's all a matter of taste as some people really like them and others don't and think them too bright sounding, the other problem in that mix is that it can be very much equipment biased as with your Sony, some of that brightness might be quite well tamed as the Sony amps tend to be flat sounding so a helping hand at the top end can be very helpful.

The thing with the expensive cables is like all expensive hifi its snake oil to some and not to others and that depends on how high end your kit is, which goes back to what I said about not getting the best out of things that are not of a like quality. That's not to say though that some cables are a marketing triumph rather than an engineering one and people do get caught up in the hype of what they are told they should buy against what they should really buy.

Like I said listening to hifi rather than people saves a lot of time and money in the long run.