Ragnar Kjartansson - The Visitors

The Vinyl Factory has just released the soundtrack to Ragnar Kjartansson's The Visitiors!

http://www.vfeditions.com/product/view/313

The Visitors, 2012, features nine musicians repeating the same lyrics in various rooms at Rokeby farm in upstate New York, a decaying nineteenth-century mansion known for its romantic setting and gloomy charm. Each performer uses different instruments and plays the lyrics in their own deeply felt ways as a camera pans through the house in one long, extremely impressive sixty-four-minute take. The screens in the gallery project all at once, resulting in a collective experience for the viewer. Together, the videos create what critic Hilarie M. Sheets calls an “entirely absorbing ensemble piece that was alternately tragic and joyful, meditative and clamorous, and that swelled in feeling from melancholic fugue to redemptive gospel choir.”

I recently got the chance to see this at the Broad in LA and was struck by the beauty of this installation. Since then I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. So excited to finally be able to own this though the price is somewhat steep for a single LP.

i bought this and then had a little regret... shipping was insane, plus the strong GBP... but, it shipped really quick, so I guess that's that, not turning back.

It is a nice package, and Vinyl Factory does really great stuff, so I guess once the initial 'why the f*** did i spend so much' feeling passes, I'll be happy with it.... love the music from the installation clips I've seen... but, also, did I just pay all that for 16 minutes of music?? (that's about the length of the video's Ive seen)

i bought this and then had a little regret... shipping was insane, plus the strong GBP... but, it shipped really quick, so I guess that's that, not turning back.

It is a nice package, and Vinyl Factory does really great stuff, so I guess once the initial 'why the f*** did i spend so much' feeling passes, I'll be happy with it.... love the music from the installation clips I've seen... but, also, did I just pay all that for 16 minutes of music?? (that's about the length of the video's Ive seen)

When I visited the installation, it was just under an hour long. I imagine that they must have trimmed it down somewhat for it to fit on a single LP but I'll be very surprised if it comes out to only 16 minutes. 

good to know... I'm hopping its in the +/- 20 minutes of (unique) music on each side, which I would guess it must be.

It'll be here by Monday already (the result of that DHL 1 day shipping being the only option!!!!!), and I'll report back about whats on it.

Awesome yeah since it was already so much I went with the standard shipping so I won't be receiving it for a few weeks

well, Side-A is pretty much the music from the video above at about 13 + minutes,  and Side-B is a slight variation on it that falls back into the repeated 'once again.....' refrain and ends on the build up and blast like Side-A does, This is also lasting about 13 + minutes and may just be a remix, but it also feels like the group is all together in one big room for parts of it.

I started to type a couple things I don't like about the B-side, but I won't spoil it...

Packaging is of course good. But the insert with all the 'words' is also in that fold out style of the cover, which is kind of a bother... but, ya...

I really love this music, but it is short!