Low and distorted sound from speakers

Hello all,

Just to add to an already frustrating day, my speakers/amp are playing up. 

The issue:

Everything powers up as it should but when I put on the iPod through the MP3 port or the record deck, the sound comes out when turns almost to max as extremely low and distorted as hell. When I plug headphones in however, both play fine and as normal.
Is this speaker end or amp speaker output end?

The setup:

Cambridge Audio 351a amp
Cambridge Audio Azur 551p pre amp
Rega RP3 deck

B and O S50 speakers

Can anyone offer any suggestions/trouble shooting? I'm going to go through the usual reconnect everything and check for faults that way. But any other guidance as to whether the speakers have blown etc would be helpful. I'm trying to source some other speakers I can connect up and test.

Thanks all - trying to save Christmas as no ability to hear vinyl is sad! 

P.S. Potential follow up post will be to advise on a new set of speakers...!

If the headphones are working it's definitely not the sources or the front stage of your amp. That only leaves the power amp stage, the speakers or speaker cables.

I'd be surprised if both speakers or speaker cables have suddenly gone bad unless you've had a very drunken party and just had the volume up too high for too long but those B&O's are probably capable of being over driven by that Cambridge amp so it is a possibility.

If you can borrow some more speakers you can try them to try and isolate the problem a little more but other than that go over all your connections again.

4 hours ago, allenh said:

If the headphones are working it's definitely not the sources or the front stage of your amp. That only leaves the power amp stage, the speakers or speaker cables.

I'd be surprised if both speakers or speaker cables have suddenly gone bad unless you've had a very drunken party and just had the volume up too high for too long but those B&O's are probably capable of being over driven by that Cambridge amp so it is a possibility.

If you can borrow some more speakers you can try them to try and isolate the problem a little more but other than that go over all your connections again.

Thanks @allenh . Tested some other speakers and it all works fine - they must be toast. Any way back for them or is it game over?

Edited by lastvaultboy

On 12/22/2016 at 4:43 PM, kannibal said:

If I understand you correctly, I would be very surprised if the problem is with your speakers. 

Other than that, I don't think I can help. 

Hope you you figure it out.

So much for my level of understanding of what you were talking about... LOL

Glad you got it figured out. Sorry about your speakers.