Odd tracking issue with new cart

Hey guys, just setup my system with a new Rega Ania cart and am having a odd issue that I haven’t really been able to find a solution for in the forums. Specifically, what is happening is that the playback will skip- usually in the first track or shortly thereafter as well as about 2/3 of the way through- and the skip is sometimes a hang up and sometimes a self correcting one (ie: two or three skips then back on track). What the most confounding thing is is that it is an intermittent problem. Sometimes it will happen, other times it plays through all way. Sometimes it will start up after it played the same thing through all the way perfectly. I originally put my favorite album on to debut the new cartridge but it is a used one and it was more pronounced on it but when I broke out a new copy of Physical Graffiti, it still happened albeit to a lesser extent. For the moment, I plan on leaving Physical Graffiti on the TT as a “reference” disc since I know it so well (unless of course you guys think this is a bad idea)

i have adjusted tracking force, alignment, and antiskate and it still happens. Aside from this, the playback on this new cart is far beyond superb compared to the stock one. Basically, I’m at a total loss....

Thoughts? Suggestions?

For reference, I’m using a Marantz TT-15S1 TT, Rega Ania MC cart, Rega Aria MC/MM phono stage, and a  Separo P34i valve amp. As a disclaimer, I am somewhat new to the hobby; I have an understanding of the concepts of setup/operation/playback but this is out of my league so please be gentle

Matthew

44 minutes ago, Sidney Crosley said:

Check the belt - make sure it's on smoothly? Could be turning inconsistently, causing the jumps. Probably not it, but worth checking...

I have been having issues with the belt staying on, but it’s a design flaw really. The belt runs literally along the edge of the platter so if it’s not on just so, it comes off. Once you get it on, and so long as you don’t touch it, it will stay on. I was planning on picking up some of those little clear rubber feet at Office Depot after work today to raise the motor a couple of millimeters, and consequently, the tracking level of the belt. This may just solve the problem, thanks man!!! The thought that the belt could cause this hadn’t even entered my mind...