is my turntable really spinning too fast?

I have an Audio-Technica AT-LP60 turntable. It doesn't have the fancy strobe or dotted/dashed platter to calibrate. I was recently working on an album cover center label design and decided to make a zoetrope. When I put the zoetrope under the 30hz strobe light required to see it (it's constituted of 54 images) I can see the zoetrope working (which is awesome) BUT the zoetrope precesses (i.e. slowly rotates) around like the record is spinning just a wee bit too fast. I estimate the record is spinning about 1.85% too fast -- not enough to really pitch shift the music much, perhaps a third of a semitone I think.

Can anyone suggest a good way to make sure my turntable is spinning at to the proper speed? I don't see any kind of adjustment on the outside. I was thinking I could maybe put on some record and check it with a guitar tuner? On the other hand, I don't know if I have any records where I'm sure the band was tuned to proper concert pitch. Also, is there any adjustment screw or knob on the AT-LP60?

• 1 year later...

• 9 months later...