Need help with new setup

I'm having an issue i cant seem to fix or find a solution to no matter what i read or watch. Basically when i try to listen to a record all i hear is a horrible distortion type sound. If you listen closely you can barely make out the music behind the distortion but most of the sound is just chaotic distortion.  My original setup required me to add a phono pre-amp because the audio that was being produced was extremely low volume. I added a Fosi X2 pre-amp and this is where im currently at.  I have the turntable cables connected to the Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB turntable connected to the MM Inputs on the Fosi X2 and RCA cables from the X2's Audio Output to my receiver's AUX input. I have the turntables built-in pre-amp switch on "Line".  I feel like everything is as it should be but so far I'm almost $1,000 invested in all new gear to listen to my vinyl records and I still haven't been able to enjoy a single record. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm close to giving up and just buying one of those Crosley All-In-One briefcase players. 

My setup is as follows:

Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB

Fosi X2 Phono Pre-amp

Denon AVR-S570BT

Thank you!

I'm sorry for replying to my own post but I couldn't figure out how to edit my post after seeing my typo regarding the turntables cables. I meant to say I have the turntables cables connected to the Fosi pre-amp input. I also don't know why there are huge gaps in my post between the subject and my gear. Sorry about all that it's my first time posting here.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2024 at 5:22 PM, MikeyVortex said:

I'm sorry for replying to my own post but I couldn't figure out how to edit my post after seeing my typo regarding the turntables cables. I meant to say I have the turntables cables connected to the Fosi pre-amp input. I also don't know why there are huge gaps in my post between the subject and my gear. Sorry about all that it's my first time posting here.  

The reason for this problem is that your phono signals are being amplified twice. As stated in the article, you have turned on the built-in phono preamp by switching the phono/line switch to the line.

And, in the comment to which I am responding, you stated that the turntable's output is linked to the external preamp's input.

Therefore, your turntable's built-in phono preamp amplifies your phono signals first, and then you are amplifying those signals once again using an external phono preamp—which is entirely incorrect.

It is recommended that you either disable the built-in phono preamp on your turntable by switching the phono/line switch to phono or remove the external phono preamp and connect the turntable's output directly to the line-level input of the amplifier.

And there are many other reasons, too, why you might hear sound distortion.

I recommend you check out this article- https://turntablewave.com/record-player-sounds-distorted/ in which the author talks about almost all the possible reasons why you might hear distortion or muddy sound in your speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Can you help me please. I’ve just bought Pro-Ject Primary E and realised that there is no phono mode. I realise that I should buy some phono box separate but should I buy something more? I have speakers Harman/Kardon Go Play. Will it be possible to connect it from phono box?  I’d like to buy Pro-Ject Phono box E. thanks in advance :)