PO: Banquets / Mayflower - "Split Cassette"

[image]

BANQUETS // MAYFLOWER

New split cassette coming July!

I absolutely love NJ's Banquets and have been talking to Dave Frenson (guitar) about doing a Banquets cassette for quite a while. Now that it's finally coming together we're both really excited and we're doing it together as a Shouting Street / Black Numbers co-release. I have been spinning the band's brilliant 7" "This is Our Concern, Dude" pretty much every day since it came out and with the extremely high quality of pop-punk songwriting that these guys possess, I'm 100% confident that this tape is gonna come out fantastic. Featuring ex-members of Let Me Run, The Stand In, and The Banner, this is one of my favorite bands right now and I'm so proud be working with them. If Banquets are news to you, you really should stop by their site and give 'em a listen.

I asked Dave what band to bring aboard for the B-side and we pretty much decided right away that it was gonna be Oswego, NY's Mayflower. These guys released their debut LP, the splendid "Second Best Sunsets" on Kiss Of Death Records in june last year and I strongly recommend you all to give it a listen here. I'm really happy with our decision to ask these guys to join in.

Click below to read more!

http://www.mutinyzine.com/shoutingstreet/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

[image]

This past weekend, Banquets finished the recording of no less than 12 songs at the Machine Shop in Weekhawken, NJ. It was all produced by Will Putney and three of the songs, "Sexy Ghosts", "Unforgiven V" and the Hot Rod Circuit cover "Versatility", will be on the Mayflower split that we're putting out together with Black Numbers in April. Besides the split the band is now planning the release of a 10-song album this spring. We promise to keep you updated on that one as well. Make sure to check the recently updated show-schedule on the band's website. They might be playing at a venue near you.

www.banquetsamerica.com

www.mutinyzine.com/shoutingstreet

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good news first. The three Banquets songs for the split sound absolutely awesome! The bad news is that we're gonna have to push this release forward yet another month. We're doing our very best and I hope we can have this thing off to duplication by the end of may. I'm sorry for the delay but let me tell you, you won't be dissapointed once you hear this stuff. Stay with us.

http://mutinyzine.com/shoutingstreet

• 5 weeks later...

The Banquets / Mayflower split cassette has been sent off to duplication! We are now accepting pre-orders via the Black Numbers webstore! Tapes will ship early july but you will recieve an instant download when ordering. The split features two brand new songs and a cover from each band.

Pre-Order: http://blacknumbers.limitedpressing.com/products/10892

Stream & Buy Digital: http://blacknumbers.bandcamp.com/album/banquets-mayflower-split

• 2 weeks later...

Hey friends!

If everything goes well we should be able to start shipping the Banquets/Mayflower pre-orders this week. Believe me, we're just as eager as you to get them packed up and sent out. So, while we're still waiting for the boxes of cassettes to drop on our doorstep I thought I should remind you once again that it's possible to get a hold of the digital versions of both "Second Best Sunsets" and "This is Our Concern , Dude" for free. Do yourselves a favor and hit the links below if you haven't got these records already.

"Second Best Sunsets" by Mayflower

http://mayflower.bandcamp.com/album/second-best-sunsets

"This is Our Concern, Dude" by Banquets

http://www.banquetsamerica.com/songs/This%20is%20Our%20Concern,%20Dude.zip

In other news, here's what StereoKiller.Com says about the new split cassette:

"I am a firm believer that split releases are one of the best ways for 2 (or more) bands to gain new fans from each others pool of enthusiasts. When your favorite band announces that they're going to release a split with a band you've never heard of... you are nearly guaranteed to give that other and a listen. More bands need to take note of the nearly assured success in this school of thought... because I, for one, love splits for this purpose exactly. This particular split contains 2 brand new songs and 1 cover from each band... which is a formula for success.

Banquets is a melodic punk band from NJ featuring members of other notable acts like The Banner and Let Me Run. Their style is fairly similar to that of bands like The Loved Ones and The Gaslight Anthem, mixed with the late 90's/early 2000's sensibilities of Hot Rod Circuit. Their obvious strengths are in their songwriting and vocal performance. Each of their two originals are extremely well written, interesting melodic punk songs which will surely have you singing along and nodding your head after just a few listens. Their chosen cover for this release was 'Versatility' by Hot Rod Circuit. I used to be pretty fond of the original song and I have to say... Banquets knocked the ball out of the park. All in all, their half of the release is incredibly solid and catchy. A must listen for sure.

New York's Mayflower, while also a melodic punk band, are a different breed all together. They harness a much more raw and stripped down sound, similar to current groups like Dillinger Four and Iron Chic. Utilizing a more "rock and roll" approach to their craft, their songs are constructed of energetic progressions over a driving rhythm section accompanied by gruff vocal melodies. Each of their two original songs on this release are incredibly strong offerings. The first of the two is more of a straight forward energetic punk song while the second seems to be where this band shines. In this song, they take a more drawn out approach. A soft vocal line builds up over an eventually churning guitar riff. The song then breaks into a gallop with a fantastic, yet straight forward punk feel. After this is what I feel to be the highlight of the entire split. Mayflower absolutely NAILS a cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival's classic "Travelin' Band". If this cover doesn't get your blood flowing, you must be dead.

The bottom line is that this is a shining example of a split release executed to near perfection. Both bands offer up VERY strong original material as well as a fantastic cover track each. Fans of either band will absolutely love the opposing half of this record... and I'd call that mission accomplished."

• 2 weeks later...

Where to buy the Banquets/Mayflower "Split Cassette":

USA: There's only two or three copies left in the Black Numbers store. Mayflower will have some for sale soon.

Europe: Different Kitchen Records in the UK will have copies online soon.

Japan: Waterslide Records in Japan will have copies soon.

Info:

The split is limited to 150 copies total. Once they're gone they're gone. 100 with "Ice Blue" shells and 50 with "Whisky Gold" shells. All cassettes are hand-numbered and comes with a download.

Tracklist:

SIDE A: Banquets - 1. "Sexy Ghosts", 2. "Unforgiven V", 3. "Versatility" (Written by: Hot Rod Circuit)

SIDE B: Mayflower - 1. "Cork High", 2. "Archival", 3. "Travelin' Band" (Written by: John C. Fogerty)**

More details here:

http://www.mutinyzine.com/shoutingstreet/shout04.html

[image]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...