Question about turntabes?[ not a "help me pick"]

hey, so my dad got me a turntable for my birthday a while ago but it was this cheap ion usb. now i havent had problems with it but i was on dead format and saw this thread..

http://www.deadformat.net/topic.php?id=31603

now my question is how can they ruin vinyl, and does anyone know if i should change the whole arm, or just the needle? thanks!

what it's referring to is cheap tables being too heavily weighted on the needle, which can cause the grooves to wear over time and repetitive playing. balancing the tone arm allows the needle to glide through the grooves with the weight being balanced on the back end of the arm. changing the arm on the table probably wouldn't be worth your time or money, since the table is cheap to begin with. changing the needle also won't improve the balancing. i don't have any experience with these tables, so i'm not sure what balancing options it provides. i probably wouldn't worry about it too much in the short term, assuming you don't have one record that you play every day, three times a day. your best bet would be to save up some cash and invest in a low-end audiophile table, such as the Rega RP1 or the Pro-Ject Debut III that are pretty widely used and raved about on the board.