Cambridge Audio 640p

I got this preamp for Christmas, and I love it. It literally made my records sound 3x better than my Audio Techinca ATPL120's built-in pre-amp.

on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00106JE1E/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=pangrides-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00106JE1E

Have any of you ever tried this baby out?

I haven't heard it personally, but the 640p is a very well-regarded pre-amp that gets pretty good reviews across the board. You can also use it with MC carts, so if you ever decide to upgrade from an MM, it's got that nice feature.

I doubt this applies to many people on VC, but if you want to kick the 640P up to another level of performance, there are a bunch of folks on Audiokarma who have experimented with replacing all the preamp's stock capacitors and op-amps and they say it's a big improvement. You just need to know a little something about electronics and be handy with a soldering iron. There's a14 page thread at the link below. At the bottom of page one is a parts list for all the stuff you need from Digikey. I know relatively nothing about electronics, but I've built a few DIY preamps and they've all been really fun projects ... and pretty cheap too!

http://mail.audiokarma.net/forums/showthread.php?t=321083