Question about Studio Monitors

Hey guys, this is a question for anyone with knowledge about home studios. I've been into recording music for almost 3 years now and I feel it's about time I get some monitors to mix my recordings to sound way better. I've always been reluctant cause I always just recorded for me and I never felt I needed that good of quality to just get my ideas down, but recently I've been writing with some awesome dudes and I'd rather record/mix some demos at my house.

Anyway with that being said, what do you guys recommend? I want to keep the budget around $500. I've seen a lot about the KRK Rokits but it always seems to be 50/50 good or bad. The Yamaha HS50M's seem pretty nice as well. My room is pretty small so 5" speakers will work fine. Also, is it worth it to buy the sub with the monitors? I mainly mix alternative/rock kind of stuff. I do some ambient piano songs on the side and my buddies band I record is "metalcore". If anyone has any advice, it would be awesome!

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B3030A.aspx

I've been very pleased with my pair of B3030A. Behringer is a real hit or miss company, but after much research and patience I have yet to regret my purchase (especially for the price).

I've always been super hesitant on anything Behringer. The Yamaha's are about $170 each and the KRK's are $150 each, but I don't think I really need a 6" though. Any thing really stand out on the B3030A's besides the price?

I've always been super hesitant on anything Behringer. The Yamaha's are about $170 each and the KRK's are $150 each, but I don't think I really need a 6" though. Any thing really stand out on the B3030A's besides the price?

The ribbon tweeters have very smooth responses to mid and high frequencies. I am also very fond of the surprisingly flat frequency response chart. For the price you can't go wrong, I'd highly recommend staying away from the KRK's though.