Sound problems

I recently got a Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB for Christmas, and on Christmas day everything sounded awesome. I tried new vinyl on it and it was a vast improvement over my older TT. However, I think I may have messed up the needle or the cartridge somehow. Everything sounds distorted and like there's a ton of surface noise. I've tried playing new records as well, so it's a not a problem with that. I've replaced my speakers (needed new ones anyway) and tried my cassette deck through the same receiver and speaker set up, and the distortion wasn't there. Should I get a new stylus? Cartridge? Try something else? Also, if it helps, I'm using the stock cartridge. I'm still relatively new to this side of record collecting (this is the first TT I've gotten with a removable cartridge and such) so I'm sorry if this is a total n00b question.

Start with the easiest thing and go from there.  If I hear distortion, the first thing I do is take a close look at the stylus.  Is there a dust bunny attached ... dirt, gunk, crud, hair, etc etc?  Have you ever cleaned your stylus?

If it's clean, does the stylus look damaged?  Sure it's tiny, but you should be able to see any obvious problems.  Is the cantilever bent?  Is the cartridge azimuth correct?

Next, are your records clean?  Even new vinyl can be pretty dirty and dusty fresh out of the package.  There's lots of discussion in this forum and on the web about how to clean your records.  Some methods are better than others, but doing some sort of rudimentary cleaning is better than nothing.

From there I would go back and check your turntable's set up.  Is the VTA and tracking force correct?  Is the cartridge alignment correct?  Refer to your turntable's manual or check out this awesome beginner's guide to setting up your turntable on youtube: 

If all that checks out and you still hear distortion, get back to us and we'll go from there.