I know the chasing a fault syndrome well, I had a high end Italian integrated that I can't remember the name of a few years ago and I chased a similar problem for a few months before I sent it into a proper repair shop, he chased it for another 8 months then admitted defeat, it ended up on ebay with a long description of this tale of woe and hopefully the buyer got it going but I expect not.

On the subject of that Marantz and it's value/ability paradox, unfortunately there's quite a few in the hifi world like that, I've tried a few, been underwhelmed and moved them on pretty quick and bought something that I actually liked. That said it's all about perception but some really are the emperors new clothes.

If you're looking at bi amping go the whole hog and go active, it's quite a leap in information detail and image, I did it when I was using two way speakers and miss it now so will probably rebuild my crossover as three way when I can pick up another couple of monoblocks.

The only downside is removing the crossovers from your speakers if you are worried about the resale value