Revolving grind/whirring noise on quiet parts

Hey ya'll.  I'd appreciate some help here because this has been bugging me ever since I got my player.  When I start a record at the beginning, I hear this slow whirring noise that sounds like tires going over small bumps on the highway.   It's relatively quiet and when the music starts, I don't notice it.

I clean my records frequently, so it's not that.  And I hear it with new vinyl.

My worry is that maybe it has something to do with the weight of the needle arm?  I have it set at 1.6 at the moment.  

Thanks for the help.

btw it's an Ariston AD-60, if that helps

Good news is that's not a bad turntable, bad news is it's not exactly a new turntable so yes it could need maintenance as you have no idea what was refurbed.

Does it do it if you spin the platter by hand, does it do it without a record on? and does it do it with a record on but without the arm down?

It could be the bearing making a noise, could be the motor, could be the motor running on the underside of the platter, could be the cartridge sitting too low on the record, could even be a worn stylus.

Sadly it's one of those things you need to hear to diagnose properly but you can isolate when it does it and thereby hopefully where it is coming from.

If you don't have a vinyl engine account get one as the manuals for it are up there. http://www.vinylengine.com

As to it's History it's from the point where Ariston wasn't really Ariston any more, look into the history of the brand as it's a sad but interesting story and you will see the basis of another very famous Scottish brand in there.

• 2 weeks later...

It could be the bearing making a noise, could be the motor, could be the motor running on the underside of the platter, could be the cartridge sitting too low on the record, could even be a worn stylus.

Sadly it's one of those things you need to hear to diagnose properly but you can isolate when it does it and thereby hopefully where it is coming from.

This is basically my advice. Try to isolate the issue as best you can. My first suspicion is a motor related issue (e.g. vibration, noise, etc.).