Subwoofer imbalance / pre-amps

Recently, I've noticed that when I'm listening to vinyl, on most of my records, my subwoofer is putting out mostly surface noise and just a hum of the bass that's on the album, and you can only hear these if you're kneeling next to it. Most of the bass is coming though my other speakers. I know it's not a problem with my sub because when I'm listening to CD's, or anything else, through my system, the sub sounds fine.

Right now, I have a Pro-ject debut carbon with a 2m Red, and a Yamaha RX-930 receiver, which has a built in pre-amp. I don't think it's a very good pre-amp, and I think I could solve my problem by buying a new external one. Would this solve my problem? And if yes, what is my best bet for a good, affordable pre-amp?

How do you have your sub connected to the receiver? If you are using the pre out my guess is that the pre outs are in the signal path before the phono stage. If that is the case the phono level would be to low for the sub to produce any volume. If this is in fact your problem then yes, a external phono stage would fix the problem.  If the sub is hooked up speaker level then........well....then you wouldn't be having this problem :)