Replacing a Rega subplatter

Earlier this week I moved apartments, and of course the movers busted my turntable, box marked extremely fragile in bold red. It's a Rega P3. The top of the subplatter spindle, that the platter sits on top, broke off. I found some aftermarket ones and an original on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=291108250146&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Does anyone know how complicated this is to switch out? It looks like just unscrewing the whole assembly until it comes out. I started to mess with it a little, but it didn't seem to be going anywhere. There's a gluey/oily tension which I guess is related to the bearing in that assembly. Worse comes to worst I'll take it to a shop and not risk doing further damage, but if I can save some money, that would be good.

Thanks for the help!

Have you said anything to the moving company? Thats a $1000 tt, no? Id be livid

Exactly they should have insurance surely?

But to answer your question the sub platter should just lift out of the main bearing and is only being held there by the oil, while you have it out give it all a good clean and replace the oil.

There are some nice aftermarket alloy ones about

Get a groovetracer.

It would be a good opportunity to upgrade, but since this is an unexpected cost, I'd like to keep it inexpensive.

I was pretty upset and contacted the company, but they said the standard insurance is 30 cents per pound...which equates to nothing. You would have to have bought separate insurance. Fortunately renters insurance may cover it, so I'm looking into that.

That gluey/oily substance is bearing grease. It creates a good seal, and will take a bit of a heave to get the snapped off piece out. 

I second the groovetracer call too! But really, any of the aluminium replacements will be a good step up from the original plastic. If you are doing the replacement yourself, make sure to clean out the old grease, and use a nice high viscous oil/grease. DON'T force the sub platter back in to its hub. Just place it in the hole, and allow the weight of the sub platter to gently fall back in to place. It will take a few minutes so don't fret.

I really hope you get your table back in working order soon. I'd be rather upset if mine got busted up

DON'T force the sub platter back in to its hub. Just place it in the hole, and allow the weight of the sub platter to gently fall back in to place. It will take a few minutes so don't fret.

I really hope you get your table back in working order soon. I'd be rather upset if mine got busted up

Giving it a spin once it's in far enough to allow it can help it settle

• 3 weeks later...