At Lp 120 vs Pro Ject Carbon HELP

Hello everyone! First off I would like to say I just joined today and I am looking forward to learning and sharing with all of you.

I am in need of some help. I have been collecting records on and off for about 10 years. I have a crappy radio shack TT and I am way past being ready to up grade. I am getting an Onkyo stereo receiver and a pair of Fluance ES series speakers. My question is what do you guys & gals recommend the At 120 or the PJ Carbon? I know these 2 have been compared enough times to make a crazy person sane but I am so indecisive. One day I lean toward the AT and the next day I lean toward the PJ. Being a noob will I be able to tell the difference between the 2? The money I save on the At I can get a decent preamp but will I become frustrated with it quicker than the Pro Ject? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

I'm in the same boat you are, and just bought the 120 (see the last post in the stickied "Beginner's Guide" post).  However, after researching and reading the opinions of the knowledgeable members of this forum, I am returning it before even opening it, and buying a Debut Carbon.  Definitely sounds like the better choice, and a great beginner TT for someone starting down the audiophile path.  The 120 sounds like a decent choice for someone who just wants to play some records, but isn't into the love of the hobby/medium.  Also, I was planning to upgrade the cartridge on the 120 for $75, but the Debut Carbon already comes with the Ortofon 2M Red, which justifies some of the added expense.

The Carbon is much better. I had (and still have in a box somewhere) an LP120 and had it for less than a year before I wanted something better. I ended up going with a legitimate Technics 1200mk2 (the table the LP120 copies) but the Carbon is a great turntable. You'd have to spend a lot more to really do better.

Or a Rega?