Technics TT on eBay?

There are many Technics TT's on eBay and given the high praise I've read about on this site, I'm wondering why I can pick one up an SL-D303, "in mint condition" from a very high rated seller for only $159. Any thoughts? I'm getting very anxious to purchase my first TT, just can't seem to sift through the endless info for a clear answer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-SL-D303-Auto-Direct-Drive-turntable-Upgraded-RCA-cables-Super-Sound

Technics like most of the other big name companies made from absolute crap all the way up to very very good so a brand name isn't always an arbiter of quality on it's own.

The D303 was a nice enough average Technics turntable but $159 seems a quite high to me, I would be wanting something like an SL1300 or 1400 or 1500 in very nice condition for that sort of money.

The market for that sort of turntable is different here in the UK than it is in the US though so hopefully someone in the US will be able to give you a more accurate opinion.

It's an entry level table at best, and for $160 that auction doesn't include a cartridge or headshell so expect to spend another $100 at least if you expect any sort of decent performance out of it. I've seen that table go for $50-80 including a cartridge on some other forums. Overall, I'd pass on that deal, big time.

For a similar price look into the U-turn (has its own thread on here), never used one but I've read some pretty good things about it.

Technics like most of the other big name companies made from absolute crap all the way up to very very good so a brand name isn't always an arbiter of quality on it's own.

The D303 was a nice enough average Technics turntable but $159 seems a quite high to me, I would be wanting something like an SL1300 or 1400 or 1500 in very nice condition for that sort of money.

The market for that sort of turntable is different here in the UK than it is in the US though so hopefully someone in the US will be able to give you a more accurate opinion.

Thanks! I appreciate the knowledge for sure. The search continues...

It's an entry level table at best, and for $160 that auction doesn't include a cartridge or headshell so expect to spend another $100 at least if you expect any sort of decent performance out of it. I've seen that table go for $50-80 including a cartridge on some other forums. Overall, I'd pass on that deal, big time.

For a similar price look into the U-turn (has its own thread on here), never used one but I've read some pretty good things about it.

Thanks a lot for the info. I'll keep on searching.