PO: Divorcee ep /400 Joyful Noise dude from Why? cLOUDEAD

This caught my attention because I really liked cLOUDEAD. This sounds nothing like that though.

Anyway...

"Introducing: Divorcee, the new project from Yoni Wolf and his ex-girlfriend Anna Stewart. With their self-titled debut EP, the WHY? frontman steps out of the spotlight to craft all the music himself, while Stewart sets her brutally honest lyrics to each song.

The six song EP chronicles Stewart's relationships with men, and is at times a podium for her to proclaim her own perspective about her former relationship with Yoni, a subject well-documented through previous WHY? songs (most notably on the album "Alopecia"). She recounts her relationship anxieties with gut-wrenching honesty and an endearing, confident tone, revealing the feminine counterpoint to WHY? songs like "Good Friday" & "The Hollows". Her lyrics are impactful, unsettling, and sometimes quite deprecating toward her former lover / new bandmate.

Avid WHY? fans will notice familiar sonic elements within Divorcee, but this collaboration has also pulled something entirely new and interesting from Yoni. Divorcee emerges as a cathartic yet playful, lo-fi musical celebration of the depths and heights of a failed relationship and the masochistic yet therapeutic reflection that can happen when the participants remain friends."

Red velvet splattered vinyl #'d & limited to 400 copies can be purchased here for $15: https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/divorcee-ep.html

Here's a video from it(I think the song sounds better when I close my eyes. I really don't like the video):

For what it's worth, the song that they debuted is my least favorite one on the EP. I ordered this right away because anything Why? (or cLOUDDEAD) related is something I need to hear.

Anna sings in a style reminiscent of Alopecia-era Why? and after the disappointment that was the Golden Tickets EP, Divorcee has temporarily satisfied my craving for more Why? circa 2008. On the track, The Last Fist, I actually thought it was Yoni on first listen. This is to be expected though, since Yoni handles all of the production here.  Recurring themes include whiskey drinking, violence, regret, suspicion and mistrusting mother-in-laws.

On perhaps the most personal track of this EP, Snakes and Oysters, Anna recalls some of her ill father's last words:

"If I feel low and guilty after one night of drinking

And I know by sixteen, must feel like your sinking

Your shoulders shrinking, oh what were you thinking

As I huddled by your hospital bed

And slowly lowering your head, you said,

'Everything good that has happened yet... is overshadowed by regret.'"

The second track, Thoughts of a Man, has Anna wondering if Yoni is being as faithful as he claims. 

"I left you three messages at 4am

Should I believe it when you tell me that you slept in the van?"

...and later she confesses to her misstep one halloween night hoping this will make Yoni open up to her.

"I kissed a boy on Halloween in a Jason mask

And if I'm sorry that I did it would you take me back?"

Low Piñata has Anna once again lamenting her and Yoni's relationship.

"And you don't know my middle name, and all I wanted was modest fame,

I know you'd like to let this go, but tonight you know we're going toe to toe, blow for blow"

...and later,

"But I can't recall your middle name, whether you or I'm to blame

In a perfect world we'd have no history, you'd treat me sweetly, bring me candy."

Law & Order, both humorous and heartfelt, is easily the best track on the EP.

"Living with you is like driving in the rain,

I can't see where I'm going but I still don't press the break."

...and later,

"Living with you is like hair going down the drain,

We lose and lose until we're drowning in a lake."

I'm sure Joyful Noise will make this EP available to stream or at least upload some of the other tracks because they are definitely worth hearing!

Why? fans should definitely check out this EP!

Yoni producing is one of the problems here for me. I really liked Why? when he was musically incompetent (the first couple records) and had other people help flesh out his ideas. And Odd Nosdam > everyone.

Yeah, the last thing Why? put out that I still listen to at regular intervals is Eskimo Snow.

Nosdam on the other hand...

And Odd Nosdam > everyone.

This! I am obsessed with everything that man touches. Have you heard his latest mix called Egg Box 10? It's pretty fucking great.

I saw him live back in '09 and he put on a sick show.