Music Hall MMF 2.2 for $270 is it worth it?

As I said yes there are good ones, all the ones you've listed fit the description of near field studio monitors and for the price of them you can get a decent integrated amplifier and speakers that will sound better when you are not right in front of them.

In very simple terms with all audio to a point the more boxes you split things up into the more screening from noise you have so powered monitors are fine for their intended purpose but are made for convenience not for quality, the idea of putting the power supply inside the same box as the speaker technically is a really bad thing to do and will always be a compromise for convenience.

I have nothing against them and If they are all you have the room for they will do a job for you but you can do better quality wise for less money

They call them studio monitors but really they were intended for things like mobile broadcast vans where there isn't the room to have separate amplifiers, they have caught on as they are convenient and if there is a market manufacturers will fill it but it doesn't mean it's the right way to go, the same is true of Receivers versus integrated amplifiers, Receivers are made because that's what the market wanted for convenience not because technically it was the right way to go.

As I said above in these sorts of forums people confuse powered monitors and computer speakers into the same thing which they are not and are intended for entirely different jobs and as Tardcore refers to there are loads of forums and posts on the powered speaker subject which all end up in the same conclusion

I agree with most of the above statement - however, the Aktimates, while great for near field use, are traditional speakers in every sense of the word and sound tremendous for their price point.