Anathema - distant satellites

Hi everyone,

New to the forum. I'm happy I came across it!

Does anyone have the new Anathema album, distant satellites on vinyl? I've tried 3 copies on my turntable and the 1st lp has a terrible distortion, especially on the 2nd songs on each side. Not sure if anyone has the same experience but my local record store tried it with the same result. I emailed the label and they said they gave sold hundreds with no reports. Anybody have this issue?

Hey there,

I can verify this, during the loud passages near the centre it distorts pretty heavily on my tt as well. Now this might not be entirely the label's fault, some albums are mastered pretty loud, making it more difficult for the needle to track them. This means your system has to be aligned precisely and even then, some systems are not the best trackers. I have a Grado system, which sounds awesome on quieter records, but on louder ones, and especially during huge crescendos when many instruments come into play, it can distort pretty badly. I have noticed it with other records already and tried everything to fix this, with limited success. What system do you use? My advice would be to go for a better tracker once you do your next system upgrade.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a new rega rp3. I tried it on my other TT as well as a 2000 dollar music hall TT at my local record store. Same result on all. Disappointing because lp2 sounds perfect, just an issue on lp 1 especially on the lost song part 2 and Ariel :(. Maybe I'll settle with the cd/dvd-a version.