The mystery and intrigue of the Bush MTT1 fine speed adjustment

Hello there,

I recently bought my first turntable, a Bush MTT1. I'm fairly happy with it considering the low price but I've realised it is playing 33 1/3 rpm records slightly too fast.

Underneath the player there are two fine adjustment screws. Seems straightforward enough, but on closer inspection I realised that there were no screws or adjusters there after all just black felt where you would imagine screws should be. see picture - http://s7.postimg.org/cjf7se1ln/IMG_3328.jpg

So I though 'oh I probably just have to remove the bottom panel and there will be some protective sheet of felt under there to remove'. I removed the bottom panel but there was no sheet of felt, just the two holes still there with the felt inside. So now I'm thinking maybe I need to use tweezers to pull the felt out revealing adjuster screws underneath, but I thought I would see if anyone has any ideas before I go poking around in there.

Any ideas?? Here is what it looks like under the bottom panel:
http://s7.postimg.org/rzo6oxguz/IMG_3318.jpg. No screws!

Also have noticed that the turntable gets stuck in loops quite a lot. does anybody know if there is anything I can adjust to stop this happening. Have tried putting a penny over the needle and this didn't work anyway, and I have heard it is bad for the records. I have noticed it happens somewhat less with brand new or deep cleaned records, so maybe a partial solution is to deep clean all my records.

A friend of mine bought the same player and it has the exact same issues!

Many thanks

The clue is in the name I'm afraid as Bush isn't synonymous with quality.

Sadly the issues you are having are down to the quality or lack of it with your turntable, it's in the same category as the Crosley's, Ion's, Pyle's and pretty much anything with USB in the name.

Have a read of the beginners guide which is stickied at the top of this forum and it will explain in more detail the problems with these sorts of turntable's but basically the fact you are having to put a penny on the headshell to get the thing to track is a very bad thing and a sign that the arm just isn't tracking properly for lots of reasons and by putting a penny on it all you are succeeding in doing is accelerating the wear on your records and shortening their playable life.

Thank you for your advice. I am aware that putting a penny on the headshell is bad for the records as I said in my post, and also that this didn't make any difference anyway so I'm haven't actually been doing this. I only tried it once that's all. That's why what I was actually asking was if anyone knows of any other way to adjust it to stop it looping.

The main topic of the post anyhow was I was wondering how to adjust the fine tune speed controls, there is clearly meant to be a way to do this, I just can't figure out how! I am aware that it is not a quality player, and that there likely is no way to adjust the arm to stop it looping, was just throwing it out there.

Thank you for your advice. I am aware that putting a penny on the headshell is bad for the records as I said in my post, and also that this didn't make any difference anyway so I'm haven't actually been doing this. I only tried it once that's all. That's why what I was actually asking was if anyone knows of any other way to adjust it to stop it looping.

The main topic of the post anyhow was I was wondering how to adjust the fine tune speed controls, there is clearly meant to be a way to do this, I just can't figure out how! I am aware that it is not a quality player, and that there likely is no way to adjust the arm to stop it looping, was just throwing it out there.

It's possible that they just added that so it would look nice, despite having no function. Some cheap turntables even have a fake counterweight just to look good.

if you look at the second picture there Is an actual electronic component of some sort with + and - symbols on it inside the player underneath the panel. I cant imagine they would put + and - symbols INSIDE the player just to look good?

I'm getting a feeling that this is not the sort of website to ask for any advice about cheap record players.... perhaps im mistaken though

When I rebuilt tables, and people brought me these kinds of tables, I'd tell em it would cost more money to do diagnostic work than the table was worth. These are typically lowest of the low end.

That + and - is on the motor. How about you try removing that felt and see if there is an actual screw? What do you have to lose? What more could it hurt? You have to understand that there could be no actual adjustment screws. The company could buy bulk motor casings, and cheap, non adjustable motors.

When I rebuilt tables, and people brought me these kinds of tables, I'd tell em it would cost more money to do diagnostic work than the table was worth. These are typically lowest of the low end.

That + and - is on the motor. How about you try removing that felt and see if there is an actual screw? What do you have to lose? What more could it hurt? You have to understand that there could be no actual adjustment screws. The company could buy bulk motor casings, and cheap, non adjustable motors.

This is most likely the case.

the + and - are probably because its a DC motor but the L and H may mean low and high so it's worth sticking a small screwdriver through the felt to see if there is anything there to adjust.

To a point you are correct about this not being the place to ask about cheap record players but we do try and help where we can. The reason though is because there are so many poorly made and not fit for purpose turntables on the market that we get many many questions along the lines of "I've bought a cheap record player and it doesn't work why?" and you can only answer these sorts of questions so many times telling people what they don't want to hear when the answer is always in the question.

In all seriousness it's very good that you're prepared to take it to bits and have a play with it but all you are going to learn is how not to make a turntable. I would look around for a decent 2nd hand turntable which will probably cost less than you paid for the Bush and chalk the Bush up to experience as your records deserver better.

If you're in the UK if you look on ebay you will find loads of 2nd hand DJ turntables that are vastly better for no money at all, make sure you go for one with an S shaped arm and preferably direct drive.

Yeah I think I will try and get another one at some point. It doesn't sound too great really either, apart from the other issues with it.

I did actually manage to find a screw under the felt or rubber or whatever it is, I just shoved a screwdriver through it! Takes forever to fine tune to the right speed though as you can't see what you are doing cause of the rubber being in the way. I'm still not quite there. Guess I should try and just remove the rubber somehow...