adjusting a fixed tonearm?

okay so i bought a new antique record player (the stylus, belt and everything have been fixed/restored) , and at the same spot in separate records it skips forward a couple of seconds. i talked to someone to fix it but he said since there are no knobs or anything to adjust the weight of the tone arm my only option would be to tape a coin to it or something, but i feel like that would damage my records.Could i maybe use something to elevate the records a bit? any ideas to fix this would be appreciated, thanks

Telling us a model will help. Don't do anything to elevate your records. If it doesn't work, and no one will fix it, chances are it's not worth fixing

Buying an antique record player will ruin your records. You probably don't know the age or style of cartridge is on there. Hell it could even have a 78 straight pin on there, destroying your records.

Get rid of it. Get something modern.

Telling us a model will help. Don't do anything to elevate your records. If it doesn't work, and no one will fix it, chances are it's not worth fixing

Buying an antique record player will ruin your records. You probably don't know the age or style of cartridge is on there. Hell it could even have a 78 straight pin on there, destroying your records.

Get rid of it. Get something modern.

its a spirit of st louis 

its not incredibly old but it was bought from an antique store

the tonearm/cartridge (i dont know much about the parts of players) is the same one used on crosleys

thats all i could really gather about it

pictures:

http://imgur.com/UPQpmjK

http://imgur.com/jO5x56I

http://imgur.com/C3MgdXS

http://imgur.com/tBCez2l

Ohhhhhhhhhhh I see. Ok. That's not an antique. That's just a Crosley clone.

I hate to tell you, but this is junk. With a cermaic cartridge that destroys records. No counter weight, no anti skate, nothing that actually helps a tonearm do its job. It's a plastic, unbalanced tonearm that was probably installed poorly on an assembly line.

Sell it, read the beginner's guide stickied on the main page, and go from there!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh I see. Ok. That's not an antique. That's just a Crosley clone.

I hate to tell you, but this is junk. With a cermaic cartridge that destroys records. No counter weight, no anti skate, nothing that actually helps a tonearm do its job. It's a plastic, unbalanced tonearm that was probably installed poorly on an assembly line.

Sell it, read the beginner's guide stickied on the main page, and go from there!

oh ok

well the store we got it from gave us the number of a guy that knows a lot about this kinds of stuff, would installing a new tone arm be possible? and would it fix the skipping issue?

oh ok

well the store we got it from gave us the number of a guy that knows a lot about this kinds of stuff, would installing a new tone arm be possible? and would it fix the skipping issue?

le sigh.

No, no, no, no, no. Listen, ajxd was being really really kind to you about this turntable. He is normally a lot more straight-forward and he gets to the "your turntable is junk" point a lot more forcefully.

Seriously you are much better off selling this off and getting something that is in the beginner's guide.

le sigh.

No, no, no, no, no. Listen, ajxd was being really really kind to you about this turntable. He is normally a lot more straight-forward and he gets to the "your turntable is junk" point a lot more forcefully.

Seriously you are much better off selling this off and getting something that is in the beginner's guide.

Yup surprisingly restrained from ajxd but he is spot on the turntable as it is potential landfill at best. Re read all ajxd's posts above as all the info and advice you need is there