Need Help With Old Turntable

So recently my Dad gave me his old turntable that had just sit in the basement forever and ever. Today I brought it to my apartment, as I figured if it worked, it would probably produce better sound than my current table and probably wear them down slower, as my current table is some Audio Technica $80 turntable or something like that.

Anyways, the table my Dad gave to me is a PROJECT/one Direct Drive Semi-Automatic DR-660. For the most part, it's in pretty great shape. I haven't bothered to check or replace anything yet, but that's because of an issue I noticed; I'm not 100% sure how to actually use this kind of table. I believe in order to get the plate to start spinning, I have to move the tone arm to begin spinning. However, after I plugged it in, I couldn't get anything to budge on its own.

Eventually, I figured I'd just bring it somewhere to have them fix it. But I finally got the orange light to turn on the side of the plate. The only problem is, I've only figured out one way to make this happen:

1. Manually move the disc clockwise.

2. On the operation's lever, hit the reject option.

3. Noise clicks, light turns on for all of 5 seconds, and turns off.

So, I don't know much about turntables, just records. But, my best guess is that the electronics seem to be working fine, to an extent. However, I'm not sure what's causing the table not to spin in the first place. Probably the belt being worn down or something? I don't know!

Pictures below, and if anyone can find a manual online, or help me repair this thing in any way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Brian

tumblr_nl2gu6sUgf1r69ahpo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nl2gu6sUgf1r69ahpo3_1280.jpgtumblr_nl2gu6sUgf1r69ahpo2_1280.jpg

This appears to be identical to the Hitachi HT-350. We just serviced one for a customer. Manual can be downloaded here. http://www.vinylengine.com/library/hitachi/ht-350.shtml

Rotate the "Operation" switch to the cue up position then move the tonearm towards the record. The platter will start spinning. If the platter doesn't start spinning when you move the tonearm towards the platter, it will likely require repairs. Before playing a record, check the condition of the stylus. Probably best to just replace it.

This appears to be identical to the Hitachi HT-350. We just serviced one for a customer. Manual can be downloaded here. http://www.vinylengine.com/library/hitachi/ht-350.shtml

Rotate the "Operation" switch to the cue up position then move the tonearm towards the record. The platter will start spinning. If the platter doesn't start spinning when you move the tonearm towards the platter, it will likely require repairs. Before playing a record, check the condition of the stylus. Probably best to just replace it.

thanks so much for all of this peterman, I can now confidently dig into the system and figure out whats going on. Hopefully something as simple as a good cleaning. Thanks again! This definitely put me on the right track...