Receiver Maintenance/Safety Precautions

This may seem like a silly question, but I acquired an Onkyo A-7022 integrated amplifier last year and it's served me very well since then. Made in Japan, 70's built? I can't find a ton of info on the web about it, but anyway.. I want to open it up and spray the pots with the DeoxIT I have because I am getting some noise/static when adjusting the volume. I just want to make sure I'm not risking a shock or anything. Obviously it won't be plugged in and I'd do it when completely cool.

Also, does anyone who has a similar receiver have any suggestions on a good cleaning solution for the faceplate without rubbing the lettering off? I cleaned it well when I first got it with warm water, but didn't want to try anything else in fear of removing the lettering.

Here's a pic of the model as well that I grabbed online. http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/ampli/amplificatori-2/onkyo%20a7022/onkyo%20a%207022.jpg

Any help/advice would be appreciated!