Getting ready to order a turn table and pre amp. A few questions

Hello,

I'm just now getting back into vinyl after many many years.  I've been doing turntable research for a few weeks now and for my budget I have it narrowed down to 2 choices,  the U Turn Orbit and the Project Debut Carbon DC.  However I have some questions that I was hoping some of you on here can answer.

1.) Of the 2 turntables that I mentioned, which do you suggest and why?  Which is better overall?

2.)  The PD Carbon has a USB version with a built in phono pre amp.  How good is the built in pre amp on that model and would it be worth getting that one to save a few bucks?  Should I forego that model and get a stand alone pre amp?  If so, which pre amp should I get in the 150.00 - 300.00 max range? 

3.)  Has anyone here had any experience with the  U Turn's Pluto pre amp?  I can literally find zero reviews of it and I was curious to just how good it really is at 89.99. 

4.)  The orbit's high end cartridge/stylus is the Grado Blue1.  The PD Carbon comes the Ortofon Red1.  Which would sound better? The sound I'm looking for is clarity and punch.  I'm not interested in a bottom heavy "bassy" sound.    Of those two, which would be better suited for the sound I'm looking for?

Much more experienced people than myself will chime in I'm sure, but here's my take on it. 

1) The DC is a more consistent brand-name and one of the major "go-to" consideartions in an entry-level table. If you can afford it versus a U Turn without altering your budget too much, I would go for it. I haven't heard any major complaints on the U Turn, I think it's a very solid table and will do you well.

2) I was not a fan of the built in pre amp when I heard the USB table; I would avoid the USB version completely unless that is a must-have for you. There are a few choices, but if you're looking at spending THAT much on a preamp (almost as much as your table), you might as well future-proof yourself and get one that can support MM/MC; something like a cambridge 651p near the top of your budget, or a Emotiva XPS-1 at the bottom. Or if you don't care about MC and want tube, at the top of your budget is the Bellari VP130. I have no experience with the Bellari but have heard good things; I demo'd both the cambridge and emotiva and thought the $100 difference was well worth it, so I had a 651p for a while and loved it.

3) You won't find any reviews, it's brand new. As in, less than a month old (actually a week I think), new. 

4) I like the sound of the grado blue, and most grado carts actually, definitely more of what you describe in your preferences. I personally find the 2M line of carts to be a little bass heavy and not clean punchy sound up until you get to the blue and bronze line, then too heavy again for me at the black. But a lot of people really like the 2M red. I'd suggest, if at all an option, just finding a local Pro-ject dealer and hearing it for yourself. Only your ears can decide which you prefer. I doubt you'll be able to demo a grado blue, but just do some research on what other's have said on their take; there are plenty of 

The Carbon DC is the better table, but the price is a bit higher too. I would still recommend the Debut, it's the table I have and I feel like it makes a good case for it's price tag. 

I personally prefer the Grado Blue, but the 2M Red is a good cart and is certainly not a dealbreaker. Carts can be a huge matter of taste and I find the Ortofon to be a bit brighter, although nowhere near fatiguing in my opinion. 

You really can't go wrong with either table.

I don't really have any insight into that preamp.

Edit: I just realized silence said nearly the same thing as I.So....Jinx I guess?

Edited by tacoape

The Carbon DC is the better table, but the price is a bit higher too. I would still recommend the Debut, it's the table I have and I feel like it makes a good case for it's price tag.

I personally prefer the Grado Blue, but the 2M Red is a good cart and is certainly not a dealbreaker. Carts can be a huge matter of taste and I find the Ortofon to be a bit brighter, although nowhere near fatiguing in my opinion.

Soooo, hmmm well you've put me in a strange dilemma.  You say the Carbon is the better turntable, yet you prefer the Grado Blue, which is on the Orbit LOL.  Can you fit a Grado Blue on the Carbon's arm?

So, why exactly IS the Carbon "better?"  And when I say better I mean, would it actually audibly SOUND better than the Orbit, all things being equal?   If you order the Orbit with the options maxed out, which includes the acrylic platter, the Grado Blue cartridge, the cue, etc.  It puts it at the exact same price tag as the Carbon Debut DC at 399.99.    With a maxed out Orbit, do you still say the Carbon is better?

Also, any opinions of the Vincent Pho-8 pre amp?  I've read a lot of good feedback on that one but it's on the pricier side at 299.99  Is it worth it or is it overpriced for the performance?

Edited by BenderOfStrings