After market styli - quality?

I've been looking for a replacement needle for my cartridge and see some no name copies, much cheaper than the original.

Has anyone tried one of these needles? What is the difference in quality and sound, from your experience?

My example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ortofon-OM-LM-LT-5-10-20-30-NEW-IN-BOX-replacement-diamond-stylus-needle-/181999759315?hash=item2a6007efd3:g:qvAAAOxygj5Slkc2

Not enough info in that ebay post to tell what that actually is. I know JICO makes styli for those carts, but I think they cost around twice that for the equivalent of the 10. I wouldn't trust it, unless they can tell you who the actual manufacture of it is.

I don't have an Ortofon, but I'd trust this one more. Pfanstiehl are usually pretty good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stylus-for-ORTOFON-OM-OM5-OM5E-OM-5E-LM-SERIES-LM-STY-5-5E-STY-7-15-20-/291020953257?hash=item43c23356a9:g:ujoAAOxyo4lRj1QS

thanks man. I googled Pfanstiehl and found some more information. Apparently called "aftermarket styli"?

It's just a generic term for non-branded sytli I think. I can't say how good it sounds, but for the price it's worth a shot, since official styli are expensive. A lot of people on Audio-karma seem to like Pfanstiehl for different carts.

Buying copy stylus really is the luck of the the draw and depends very much on how popular your cartridge is and what it's intended market is, so if it's a DJ cart I would say the chances of getting a pup are higher but as I say it is all luck.

I had a few Ortofon FF and VMS bodies here so bought a couple of cheap copy styli from ebay and I was surprised at how good they are, they are the elliptical ones so a little better than the standard conical ones and I might just have been lucky of course but either way they sounded nicer than the Ortofon originals to my ears.

Looking at the boxes I reckon they're made by the Diamond Stylus Company here in the UK