Stylus help: Audio Technica AT160ML

Hey all,

I am reviving my dad's old turntable. It is a Harmon/Kardon T65C. It has an AT160ML cartridge in it with no stylus. What do you all reccomend for a replacement stylus? As I understand it, the AT160ML has a Audio Technica ATN140LC installed when its new. Should I just buy another one of those? Lastly, I am a bit newer to record collecting and such; what I am trying to say is, should I worry about the cartridge being broken and having to return the stylus or buy a new cartridge? I read that it is uncommon for cartridges to break, but I just don't want to be SOL. Thanks for all the help!

Simple answer yes buy the correct replacement stylus either a genuine AT one or an equivalent but the equivalent may or may not be as good as the original.

More complicated answer AT like a lot of cartridge makers use the same body with different styli in a range so there will likely be a choice of styli in the AT catalogue that will fit that body and when setting up you would use the parameters (tracking force etc.) for the new styli

You are correct cartridges themselves seldom break but it's not impossible, you can test for continuity through the coils but be careful how you do it as using the wrong testing device can damage some coil types.

How would I go about choosing a good stylus for this cartridge. Can someone reccomend one? Or is it based simply on preference? Cause I don't know which one to go with haha. I think I may go with the ATN140LC, but I was wondering if there was a "better" choice on stylus since its an outdated cartridge (maybe provide a link if possible).

That should make for a pretty nice sounding cart, the various stylus options will all sound very different but you will be the best judge of which is better as it's your ears that will do the judging.

As far as it being outdated goes it's not, there's very little new in cartridges and all the makers that have been around a few years are just re badging their designs from the 70's and 80's so I wouldn't worry about that, it's a nice cartridge full stop.

That should make for a pretty nice sounding cart, the various stylus options will all sound very different but you will be the best judge of which is better as it's your ears that will do the judging.

As far as it being outdated goes it's not, there's very little new in cartridges and all the makers that have been around a few years are just re badging their designs from the 70's and 80's so I wouldn't worry about that, it's a nice cartridge full stop.

Perfect! Thank you for the help! I'll update the thread with how I think it sounds and how everything looks!