prop 8

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i completely agree. i just think when its this serious of an issue, and the outlook is dire, you have to be pragmatic about it. legally get the rights first, then start winning over the hearts and minds of the rest of society.

Agreed, I'm just hoping this vote can be overturned somehow.

Its stuff like this that makes me want to become a civil rights attorney.

Statement by No on Prop 8 Campaign on Election Status:

Roughly 400,000 votes separate yes from no on Prop 8 – out of 10 million votes tallied.

Based on turnout estimates reported yesterday, we expect that there are more than 3 million and possibly as many as 4 million absentee and provisional ballots yet to be counted.

Given that fundamental rights are at stake, we must wait to hear from the Secretary of State tomorrow how many votes are yet to be counted as well as where they are from.

It is clearly a very close election and we monitored the results all evening and this morning.

As of this point, the election is too close to call.

Because Prop 8 involves the sensitive matter of individual rights, we believe it is important to wait until we receive further information about the outcome.

i completely agree. i just think when its this serious of an issue, and the outlook is dire, you have to be pragmatic about it. legally get the rights first, then start winning over the hearts and minds of the rest of society.

Personally, I think everyone would should get a civil union, and gov't should keep its nose out of religious marriage. The problem with doing marriage for straights, civil unions for gays is that its so blatantly "seperate but equal." I just want my civil rights, I don't need everyone to like me. I could give a flying fuck about what the religious right thinks of me personally, as long as I get some legal recognition and am not a second class citizen. But that's just me.

Personally, I think everyone would should get a civil union, and gov't should keep its nose out of religious marriage. The problem with doing marriage for straights, civil unions for gays is that its so blatantly "seperate but equal." I just want my civil rights, I don't need everyone to like me. I could give a flying fuck about what the religious right thinks of me personally, as long as I get some legal recognition and am not a second class citizen. But that's just me.

Exactly. You can't have marriage for one and civil unions for others. I'm on the side of getting rid of marriage all together. I think civil unions for all and marriage for religious folks makes good sense. Either way at this point marriage is tied to tax benefits and those benefits need to be open to all. That's how America works, period. There's no room for any compromise or interpretations.

Its just so sad if this passes because I'm convinced people voted "Yes" out of fear. I heard someone say their pastor was going to get sued if he refused to marry a same-sex couple. That's blatantly wrong. Being Jewish and marrying a catholic my rabbi will not do the ceremony. That's his choice and nothing he'll ever get sued over.

Also, if we allow same-sex marriage, I very highly doubt anyone same-sex couple will get married because one of them is knocked-up. :)

Cannot believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes me very angry! You have no idea!! It is so stupid!! You're just discriminating people by saying they can't get married! It's the same as saying blond people, people with blue eyes, left handed people, bold people etc can't get married.......Unbelievable!!!

For some reason people don't realize that's where this amendment lets this go. Now its same-sex couples, next maybe its Jewish couples and on and on.

Well personally I think Jewish couples isn't a good example, because you weren't born Jewish, you choose to be Jewish...And I still don't understand Obama isn't pro gay marriage since he's black and all...I believe there was one speech he refers to Martin Luther King, so he should know what it is to be discrimated for something you were born with...

For some reason people don't realize that's where this amendment lets this go. Now its same-sex couples, next maybe its Jewish couples and on and on.

Well personally I think Jewish couples isn't a good example, because you weren't born Jewish, you choose to be Jewish...And I still don't understand Obama isn't pro gay marriage since he's black and all...I believe there was one speech he refers to Martin Luther King, so he should know what it is to be discrimated for something you were born with...

I'll try not to be offended there and simply say you're wrong. People are born Jewish, its not a choice, at least it wasn't in Nazi Germany.

But you also miss the point, namely you start to allow this kind of picking and choosing of who gets rights and suddenly it starts creeping through all of society.

Yeah I guess I know what you mean...And I guess someone can be born Jewish if you mean this like: the baby is born out of a Jewish woman in a Jewish Family and raised Jewish. But at some age the child has it's own will and can choose to be Jewish or not. And when you are born gay, you can't choose at some age not to be gay. That was the main differents I was trying to make. It's just in your genes.