Show us your vinyl bargains ...include pics

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i used to have a jointly owned record store in central jersey called curmudgeon. being that graphic design is my "real job" i have endless hours to probe craigslist for record deals... so i do frequently. on this particular ocassion though i found a typical craigslist post that went something like "record collection for sale. 400 records. email for list" it said nothing about "punk" but being that i responded to literally every single post like this the guy sent me his list. they were just his lps... when i opened the list i almost fell off of my chair. it was basically a rediculously awesome old punk collection. stuff like husker du, adrenalin OD, dead kennedys, circle jerks, black flag, mission of burma, replacements, bedlam, first flex your head LP... etc. 400 LPS! probably 85% amazing stuff. imagine like an old punk dude from jersey who was a pretty serious collector that stopped collecting in the early 90's. there were lots of old jersey and washington DC punk records. the list he sent me was an excel file with individual prices for each record... none of which exceeded $2.00... and most of which were one dollar a piece. i immediately offered him 400 dollars and he accepted. BUT it gets a little more interesting... im about to go leave to pick these up and im waiting for him to email me directions. in the email he says "oh i found some 45's too" and he sends me a list... here are a few examples of what was in there. these are all original

danzig "who killed marilyn"

misfits "night of the living dead"

misfits "halloween"

mifits "3 hits from hell"

bad brains "pay to cum"

adrenalin od "let barbeque"

dead kennedys "kill the poor" (banned cover)

the mad "fried egg"

sick pleasure "7"

the damned "new rose"

black flag "nevous breakdown"

black flag "six pack"

black flag "tv party"

minutemen "the bean spill e.p."

this is just a small sample of what i can remember, the prices of the misfits 7"s were one dollar each. there were probably 30 records that were in the 50-100 dollar range. it was rediculous... nothing on the 7" list was over one dollar. the dude was from lodi NJ where the misfits are from... so he had a lot of misfits related stuff too. like rosemary's baby. when i found this collection i had just gotten involved with the record store, and i decided to sacrifice it to the store... which at the time was in dire need of a great collection. in retrospect i wish i just bought this myself... but i figure getting that bad brains 7" was a stellar score in its own right being that its one of those records ive been waiting to get my grubby hands on. but yeah this happened only about 2 years ago... it was definitely the most rediculous collection ive ever turned up on craigslist in all the years ive been on there. all in all the store spent 500 bucks on everything.

when i was leaving his house (after i put the records in my car and paid him) i sort of tried to level with him... i said "dude why are you selling all this stuff" he was like a 40 something year old dude. he says "oh i dont know change of taste i guess" it was clear he had no idea what he had there... the store priced all the records rediculously low given the good deal... and still probably made 5000 dollars off of the deal. unbelievable.

Wow !!! Amazing story :)

I love stories like that. and the fact a great record store benefited from it makes it even better.

I got a copy of thursday - war all the time for $14.57ppd on ebay back in September. I'm guessing it went so low because the seller had poor feedback, though my transaction with him went smoothly.

Got this for 18 bucks sealed. Good score.

I got one recently from Vintage Vinyl's online store for like $14 or something like that still sealed. They might still have them.

• 1 month later...

curmudgeon? nah it just moved to main street in somerville. its still a good store.

curmudgeon is good, but its too much of a hassle to go there for me. i liked the other store they use to have in hillsboro cause my buddy lived there and i would chill by him a lot.

curmudgeon is backed as a great store, every time i am home i try to go there

Guest duhpunk

Man, you guys have gotten some sick deals. The best I've gotten recently are:

Less Than Jake- Hello Rockview 7x7" Boxset- $10

Less Than Jake- Goodbye Blue and White (1st press, blue marble)- $1.25

Opeth- Orchid- $7

Found this at a yard sale a few years back. $6. The sticker will come off with a little work i just haven't felt the need to remove it. Normally not an autograph fan but it being one of my favorite bands it just makes it a little sweeter. Also record itself is in perfect shape.

[image]

I got the Mighty Mighty Bosstones 'Question The Answers' Black 12" for 15 bucks from a guy who had no idea what he get for it. Two of them went for almost a hundred this past week

Ya I just picked this up for the same price on an Ebay buy it now, someone in England. He charged $10 for the LP and $5 to ship. Not Bad.

Also Picked up Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell on a sweet pic disk for $20 at a record show. Guy could have gotten double for it.

Guest kevinb

From what I can remember this year...

Circa Survive-juturna (3)-$15

Dashboard confessional-swiss army romance-$15

Hopesfall-sat years(black)-$15

Lucero-Nobodys Darlings (white/100)-$40

Saves The Day-In reverie(sealed)-$25

Sharks Keep Moving-self Titled (sealed)-$25