Record Player Tech/Maintenance Questions

jochert

Ok, so I know there's a bunch of people on here who now a lot about record players. So here's some questions.

1. When do you need to replace the needle/stylus? How can you tell it needs replacing?

2. How do you set the tonearm weight correctly? How do you know when you have the right pressure/weight on the needle?

3. Lately when playing records, the record keeps getting stuck in the groove, the groove keeps repeating. This is happening on almost all of my old(er) as well as brand new (1st time played) records. What can I do to correct this?

thanks.

I'v been using a Thorens TD 160B mkII turntable lately....

best way is to figure out what the tracking force for your specific cartridge is, then set the tone arm weight so that it balances level (ie it doesn't drop down, or spring up) Then set the counterweight at the end of the arm to what ever your cart needs. Like punkrudeboy said, most carts will be between 1.5 - 2.0g. I believe mine is set at 1.75.

When I bought mine the place said a diamond stylus is good for 2,000 - 2,500 hours.

Sorry, I miswrote - meant 1400.

I've always felt that once yr over 1000 hours it's time to start thinking about a new one. Then again, the really good (i.e. $$$ Dynavector) can go longer... but cheap ones? I would say no way.

Thanks for all the replies.

I googled some manuals for the tonearm, cartridge and player, but had no idea what I was reading, but understand it a bit more thanks to your replies.

I used to always have simple plug-and-play players, that needed no tweaking and little maintenance. But I recently inherited a Thorens TD 160 mkII, which apparantly is a classic. It also has a high end tone-arm, a SME Series III and a Shure M75G cartridge.

I have no idea how old the stylus is, or how many hours it's played, so I was wondering if there was any way you could tell it need's replacing? Like skipping a lot or something? I think I should just get a replacement to be sure, they're only about 20 euros, so....rather that than ruin some records....

I think I solved my 'stuck in groove' issue. The end of the tonearm was tilted. The cartridge wasn't level, so, I straightend it out and it sounds like it's better. Damn kids! haha