New York City.... record stores?

So i am flying up to NYC thursday night for my birthday to go see Lagrecia at the Loved ones/Gaslight show friday at the knitting factory. I have the day Friday, all day Saturday, and the afternoon free to do anything. Ill be staying in Brooklyn but will most likeyl be in the city a lot.

Are there any cool record stores in the area worth checking out? what other fun stuff is there to do?

Generation on Thompson Street, near Bleeker, rules. It used to be better, but I was there last month and found a nice haul. Bleeker Bobs is near there too, you can sometimes luck out over there.

If you want to grab some hip-hop (not sure if you dig much hip-hop), go to Fat Beats on 6th Ave (in the 400s, it's on the second floor, so it's a little tough to find). They have DJs spinning all the time and have an amazing selection of 12"s and full-lengths.

Guest genericinsight
Generation on Thompson Street, near Bleeker, rules. It used to be better, but I was there last month and found a nice haul. Bleeker Bobs is near there too, you can sometimes luck out over there.

Really? I actually think the vinyl selection at Generation used to be fairly shitty, and now it's better.

Generation is a good pick, as is Bleecker Bob's.

Other Music and Kim's are both good for indie rock.

in Brooklyn, check out Academy Records and Passout Records, both in Williamsburg.

Guest genericinsight

just out of curiosity, if a store puts a price tag on the record sleeve is that really a big deal? You can just buy more sleeves and replace them.

Unless you're talking about the actual cover and not the plastic sleeve... then yeah, that sucks.