Grading Question

Hi everyone

i was wondering if I could get some help/opinions. I bought a record which was stated to be in very good/very good condition.

I got the record in the mail today and the inner sleeve is totally falling apart, its complete but it wont hold the record in it, if I hold the record up in the sleeve half of it falls out the bottom. Also the spine has a five cm hole in it where again the vinyl sticks out the side. The vinyl itself is vg but if I was selling this record I would not have listed this as vg but maybe I'm wrong.

I must add I did not buy this record from anyone on this board.

Thanks in advance for any help.

how well was the vinyl packaged when you received it? sounds like there are seem splits and this usually happens if the seller doesn't package the record tight in the mailer.

it doesn't sound like it arrived in "very good" condition but it might have been before the seller sent it out. maybe try to contact the seller and ask for a partial refund?

Well, the guy might have been grading the record only, not the sleeve (which is not the appropriate way to do it). He could also have been intentionally misleading in order to raise the price of his record. Either way, based on your description his grade is totally inaccurate so you wouldn't be in the wrong to ask for a partial or full refund with return. That decision would be totally up to you, do you feel ripped off now that you found the jacket in that condition? Is the record rare enough that you can live with the damaged jacket since the LP itself is still in great condition?

That said, I never trust anyone's grading systems unless they're using the Goldmine Grading System. This is one of the standards although there are other systems out there. However, any persons arbitrary "grades" are completely subjective and should be taken with a grain of salt (for example, the amount of times you see the word "Mint" used on ebay is laughably ridiculous and proves that most people don't follow the appropriate grading system for whatever item they're selling, whether it's records or any other collectible item).

http://www.eskimo.com/~bpentium/beatles/grading.html

I also recently bought an lp that was graded as Excellent + condition. Said there was some surface noise but with a good cleaning it will play Pristine. I get it and there are scratches all over it and after cleaning it still skips in a few places. Its very irritating and I have yet to contact the seller.

Thanks people

The record was well packed, I suppose the seam split could have been done during transit as the vinyl would not have been held in place but I would be surprised, the tear looks like it was done with a buzzsaw rather than an LP.

The thing is the LP was only £10 postpaid, about $15, I'm not sure if it's worth it for me to contact them for a 2 pound refund or something.

Thanks again