Odd iPod problem

So, a while ago my wife bought a song on iTunes and it loaded onto my iPod. More recently I bought the actually CD and loaded it onto my iTunes. This caused a problem because whenever I tried to play that artists on my car, it would only play the purchased track. I then erased the purchased track (as it was contained in the album that I have more recently loaded). that erased the entire album from my iPod. I tried to reload the album (I even erased the tracks from my iTunes and re-ripped the album) and now the album shows up on my iPod but not the artist.

And suggestions?

Did you trash the songs on the iPod?

Is the relevant information (artist, song, etc.) displaying correctly in iTunes?

The first time I erased them it said, "This will erase the songs from your iPod, wish to continue". I clicked "yes". Now when I reloaded the songs, everything appears as normal. Even when I access my iPod via iTunes the album shows up in the library with all the correct information, but when I disconnect it and search my library the album comes up but not the artist.