Project Debut III (new) or Technics 1200 MK5 (used

Hey,

About to get my first TT in a long time and am on a tight budget. I have narrowed it down to a brand new Project Debut or a used, though not very muchl, in great condition, Technics 1200 MK5 for a similar price. What would people recommend? I seem to be reading conflicting things. Some people say go for the Project Debut as the it will sound better as the Tecknics is a 'DJ' turntable and not a 'audiophile' turntable. Others say the opposite and say a good Technics 1200 outperforms pretty much any entry level audiophile turntable. The other issue I guess in one is brand new and the other is used.

I'm leaning towards the Technics, I've used them before and like their robustness and the fact you can change speed at a touch of a button but would still prefer to go for the one that will sound best.

Thanks

I would go with the Technics (I have a MK2 myself) if it's in good condition.

The 1200 series was originally designed as an "audiophile" turntable and later became popular as a "DJ" turntable. The magnetic direct drive design gets rid of typical belt drive problems (slippage, low torque) and direct drive problems (platter vibration).

This really is the wrong forum to ask this stuff. Do google searches and check out www.vinylengine.com and www.audiogon.com

Most of the people on this forum are more interested in amassing large quantities of records (or even the same record) than sound quality. That is NOT a knock against this forum, it's a record collecting forum, not an audiophile forum. The few people that do care have upgraded from their cheapy stuff to a Rega P1, Project Debut or Technics 1200 and then never plan on upgrading from that point. Odds are, most people have never listened to the difference or done any comparisons themselves, they just recommend the player they have because they're happy with it but they have no experience with anything else.

Personally, I would recommend the Project, but after lots of listening on different turntables I'm a believer in belt-driven systems. After lots of research and testing I settled on a Rega P3-24 with TTPSU and Rega Elys II cart for my price range, but that's way out of your budget. However, for the same amount of money I know guys that would pick a modded Technics and they'd be happy as a clam, and that's all that matters.

First and foremost, try to compare different setups. I don't know where you live but odds are you have an audio shop around that carries turntables, you probably just don't know it. Do a little searching and see if you can find one. Or find people that will let you compare. Then do research and figure it out. At that point, just follow your ears, if you're happy that's all that matters, you don't need to impress anyone else but yourself with your system.

Good luck!