Help with audio encoding terms

Guest falloutcollapse

oh lord, i need help with this too. oink people are crazy and just assume everyone knows. i think FLAC is the most pure sound you can get though, and scene normally means a webrip. just what i heard, please don't smite me for not knowing

oh lord, i need help with this too. oink people are crazy and just assume everyone knows. i think FLAC is the most pure sound you can get though, and scene normally means a webrip. just what i heard, please don't smite me for not knowing

haha, I'm absolutely clueless on this stuff, I generally just go with what has been downloaded the most. doesn't help my ratio at all though.

any thoughts on what's best? (besides lossless)

scene = early released version for promotional purposes. i think there may be more strict rules as to what makes a release "scene" but thats the basic gist

log = shows the steps the encoder went through to convert the files, track by track.

flac = a filetype of lossless encoding

V0 = arguably the highest quality of VBR encoding, averaging at about 256kbps per track

Guest falloutcollapse

V0, i would think, because people were going apeshit over the fact that someone leaked the new say anything in FLAC and V0. but i do the same thing, i just get whatever's been downloaded the most, and then up a ton of bollywood soundtracks. no joke.

scene = early released version for promotional purposes. i think there may be more strict rules as to what makes a release "scene" but thats the basic gist

log = shows the steps the encoder went through to convert the files, track by track.

V0 = arguably the highest quality of VBR encoding, averaging at about 256kbps per track

I know with iTunes you can edit your settings when you use VBR to set the highest bit rate and the lowest.

I know with iTunes you can edit your settings when you use VBR to set the highest bit rate and the lowest.

this is true. however, using itunes to rip tracks is generally highly looked down upon in the filesharing "community." i know on oink it is.

The scene is just a collection of people who rip stuff and release it. It has nothing to do with promos or anything. The scene rips whatever is out first, and only one group can rip that release, unless a better quality rip is made than they can proper it. The scene encodes with V2 instead of V0 which oink people seem to like. You can google scene mp3 rules and it'll give you a link to the scene rules for ripping and preing mp3s.

And FLAC is Free Lossless Audio Codec, all it is is a codec to encode lossless files and it hailed as the best way to do it without using pure uncompressed wavs.

This should help explain some mp3 encoding stuff.

interesting, i [clearly] never fully understood what justifies a 'scene' release

This should help. Basically the scene is just a bunch of people who rip and distribute warez. The scene has standards and rules that one must follow in order for your group to not be nuked or scene banned every time you pre something. All a scene release is is a release put out by a scene group, nothing special about it other than a group put it out. Preing just means upping it to a topsite, and groups get credit when they pre stuff. If you pre something someone already pred without a good reason why yours is better, you will get nuked taking from your credit. The scene is just people who rip for credit, not so much for contribution to putting stuff out.