Thin Lizzy: Where to Start?

Black Rose.

Got to Give it Up has to be one of the greatest rock songs of all time.

Live and Dangerous would also be great for you. Stick to the middle of their career to start with. They began as a 3 piece, so they didn't always rock so hard, and they got sort of metally toward the end. It's all awesome though.

[image]

and if you are into their more R&B-inspired jamz

[image]

(nightlife. this album cover is fucking amazing.) Not their most popular record, but I dig it for late-night drives and their more soulful side.

Vagabonds of the Western World is okay, but is has "The Rocker," (from which my sig is taken) which is one of THE cheesiest and most awesome rock and roll songs EVER, and "Whiskey In The Jar," which has an epic guitar solo.

Fighting is where they started really getting into the dual guitar lead shit.

Johnny the Fox has a few really badass songs. Also, in the opening track, I laugh when Lynott sings, "Whoooaaaa Jonathon!"

Also, the aforementioned Black Rose : A Rock Legend is pretty fucking awesome.

Basically? You're be well off grabbing any of those I mentioned, and avoiding the shit out of Chinatown, Renegade, and the self-titled.

I would go for Live and Dangerous Casey, it´s a great overview of that time, Johnny the Fox is great as well if you´d prefer a studio album.

This thread reminds me that for like 6 months at University I had a picture of Phil Lynott in my matriculation ID instead of me, no one ever questioned it either even thogh we couldn´t look more different.

The Rocker might be the most awesome song of all time.

"I'll kick your face; you'll soon be seeing double."

I wouldn't avoid any of it, but their best work is definitely not at the very beginning or end.

Why the hell did Lynott have to die? Recurring theme I suppose.

On the whole, Thin Lizzy is a criminally under-appreciated band. Likewise with Lynott.