Receiver smelling funky.

I bought this marantz 2218 off of ebay. Before it came I was reading through the insane amount of words this guy wrote about the product and his shop. I noticed that he wrote "the only thing I can't guarantee is the smell as I have been a smoker for 25 years."

It gets here and I hook it up and I smell this weird metal-ish smell. It pumps out when the record player is on but still kinda smells when it's off. It's sort of strange. I still have a few days to return it. It's a good receiver but I want peoples opinions of what you would do?

Thanks.

The receiver was fully cleaned, lights replaced and all that good stuff by this guy. Maybe it's just chemicals burning off and it'll go away?

if that thing has been in a smokers house for its whole life, dude, its gonna reek and is gonna reek for a long time. i would get it checked out by pro just to make sure it is all hunky dory, but that advice would be the same for anyone buying anything for sizeable cash off the bay. hang some air fresheners around it!

seriously, you'd want a pro to look at it. the wires could be touching or burning away on the inside. i lived in a place where the landlord incorrectly installed a power shower. power shower worked fine for a while, but it started to smell like a dead animal in the house and over time it got worse and worse until the shower failed. a 'leccy looked at it and instantly recognised someone had wired it in wrong and said that had the shower NOT failed when it did, the place had the potential to go up in flames, due to the wiring.

so, wiring could be yer problem. or just old cigarette.