running windows on a mac

loren

has anyone done this? how do i go about it if so. im debating getting an imac if its easy to run parallels and have both running at the same time. im also curious about how to organize files as well if you are running windows and mac at the same time...like does it just show up on 1 of the operating systems?

If you're using Parallels Windows acts like its a program running on your mac for the most part. You can setup shared space to transfer files between the two.

There's also Boot Camp, which requires a restart but lets you run Windows more natively, giving Windows more access - and quicker access - to your system's resources.

I personally use Parallels and have been quite happy with it.

When they first announced Boot Camp I was working at CompUSA. I told someone to watch the customer service desk as I ran to the Mac section and started downloading Boot Camp. Then I went into the back and popped open a copy of Windows XP and started installing everything on a G5. After I had Windows installed it took me about a minute to get all the drivers installed, that includes support for the Mighty Mouse (worst name ever) and WiFi Internet. After that I played around for a bit, I think I installed FireFox to surf the web and test out Flash. Everything worked great...what to do now?! I installed a game, I think Godfather had just come out so I dropped that in and started playing. It worked quite well.

Windows on a Mac was smooth then, I'd imagine it's fine now too.

Go for it!

Also, for people still trying to stir up the OS X vs. Windows debate, many people need one or the other, some need both, some use both. My next computer purchase will be a MacBook Pro but the first thing I'll be doing is dropping Windows XP on it. I'm a Network Administrator and could not live a few days without Windows, I'm sure others have their reasons too (read: gaming).

When they first announced Boot Camp I was working at CompUSA. I told someone to watch the customer service desk as I ran to the Mac section and started downloading Boot Camp. Then I went into the back and popped open a copy of Windows XP and started installing everything on a G5. After I had Windows installed it took me about a minute to get all the drivers installed, that includes support for the Mighty Mouse (worst name ever) and WiFi Internet. After that I played around for a bit, I think I installed FireFox to surf the web and test out Flash. Everything worked great...what to do now?! I installed a game, I think Godfather had just come out so I dropped that in and started playing. It worked quite well.

Windows on a Mac was smooth then, I'd imagine it's fine now too.

Go for it!

Also, for people still trying to stir up the OS X vs. Windows debate, many people need one or the other, some need both, some use both. My next computer purchase will be a MacBook Pro but the first thing I'll be doing is dropping Windows XP on it. I'm a Network Administrator and could not live a few days without Windows, I'm sure others have their reasons too (read: gaming).

I think this is about the best testament you're going to get. And I've talked to many a person and they've had the same experience. A person I work with I believe has Vista installed on his MacBook Pro and he's happy with it.

I was pretty pissed to find out that "Netflix now" thing doesn't work on a mac. I assume you could use windows on your mac to do this as well. that's probably all I'd use it for.

I used it for that one time. The problem with Netflix now (at the time, it was about 3 months or more ago) was the selection was crap.