Favorite LONG-GONE(70's-80's) record stores

Does anyone from Connecticut remember the insanely great CAPITOL RECORDS in Hartford Connecticut?????

A little hole in the wall in a questionable section of Hartford that closed way back in 85. Talk about a place strictly for collectors - they didn't carry normal US pressings of the latest releases - they would always have a PROMO / JAPANESE PRESSING / BOOTLEG / etc. First time I walked in there, I found about 20 things I had been contemplating ordering through Circus Magazine in their Rock-Bottom Imports ad. Back then, it took months to get a record ordered through the mail!!!! Cutler's in New Haven was very good, but Capital made them look bad by comparison. Rhymes Records (right near Cutlers) was also very good. Integrity N Music (a still-in-existence jazz store) was really good in the mid-80's when they started to carry ROCK rarities NOBODY else had. Even some of the chains like RECORD WORLD had unbelievable amounts of rare import 12inchers in the 80's

• 1 month later...

Does anyone from Connecticut remember the insanely great CAPITOL RECORDS in Hartford Connecticut?????

A little hole in the wall in a questionable section of Hartford that closed way back in 85. Talk about a place strictly for collectors - they didn't carry normal US pressings of the latest releases - they would always have a PROMO / JAPANESE PRESSING / BOOTLEG / etc. First time I walked in there, I found about 20 things I had been contemplating ordering through Circus Magazine in their Rock-Bottom Imports ad. Back then, it took months to get a record ordered through the mail!!!! Cutler's in New Haven was very good, but Capital made them look bad by comparison. Rhymes Records (right near Cutlers) was also very good. Integrity N Music (a still-in-existence jazz store) was really good in the mid-80's when they started to carry ROCK rarities NOBODY else had. Even some of the chains like RECORD WORLD had unbelievable amounts of rare import 12inchers in the 80's

You left out Festoons!

[image]

[image]

This was Rhymes

[image]

[image]

Wendy is in this photo

[image]

and on the back of the "Every Band Has a Shonen Knife Who Loves Them" LP

[image]

Tom Ardolino of NRBQ shopping at Rhymes

[image]

Shops in SoCal that Amoeba helped put out of business.

Aron's Records, Hollywood

Go Boy Records, Redondo Beach

Tower Records, West Hollywood/West Covina/etc

Virgin Megastore, West Hollywood

No Life Records, Hollywood

Offbeat Records, Redondo Beach

Bionic Records, Cypress

Rhino Records, Westwood

I'd rather have all of these shops back instead of Amoeba. At least record shopping would be more an adventure because you'd have to hit a bunch of shops to find stuff instead of hitting one shop, not finding what you want and having to resort to ordering on the internet because there are no other shops around.