ATTN: Mac Geeks/Techies - Hard Drive Recovery.

Hey everybody!

Hope all is well. I have some Mac hard drive issues, and I'm hoping someone here can lead me in the right path. First let me give you the story.

Have an old White MB. 07'ish. Hard drive failed earlier this year. I finally got around to getting a new hard drive and finally having a functional comp. Had an extra hard drive laying around at work. It was actually from a device that had XP on it before but I cleared/reformatted the drive/even had to partition it for some reason (eventually deleted partition) for it to work. I now have a functional Mac again whooo.

Bad news: The old hard drive I have still has info on it I want to extract. I used a SATA to USB to see if the comp would pick up the drive. Failed. I used a toaster (don't know exact tech term) and it picked it up. Disk Utility was finally able to recognize the drive. During the utility repair it was saying that Volume Bit Map/Header needed repair. Utility tried repairing the volume. More errors were eventually found: Invalid file/directory/free block count. It basically said First Aid failed and I was given a message along the lines of: Try setting environment variable: MallochHelp. I tried using my friends hard drive repair software but it was via WIN7 so obviously the process was incompatible. Anyways, are there any commands I could possibly use in Terminal/single user mode to repair whatever is wrong with the drive?

The exact message was: fsck_hfs(360) malloc: *** Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xa4000; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

Sorry this is so long haha. if anyone can help out...tight. if not....tight! Thanks guys!!!!

CAT

It sounds weird, but look up the freezer method for a temporary fix. You pretty much put it in the freezer for a bit, and sometimes it'll make it work long enough to extra data.

Here are instructions for single user mode repair.

http://macs.about.com/od/faq1/f/emergencystart.htm

If that doesn't work, try DiskWarrior. It's paid software, but it can scan and tell you if it can repair the problem before you have to pay for it.

Hope that helps! HDD failure sucks.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey everybody!

Hope all is well. I have some Mac hard drive issues, and I'm hoping someone here can lead me in the right path. First let me give you the story.

Have an old White MB. 07'ish. Hard drive failed earlier this year. I finally got around to getting a new hard drive and finally having a functional comp. Had an extra hard drive laying around at work. It was actually from a device that had XP on it before but I cleared/reformatted the drive/even had to partition it for some reason (eventually deleted partition) for it to work. I now have a functional Mac again whooo.

Bad news: The old hard drive I have still has info on it I want to extract. I used a SATA to USB to see if the comp would pick up the drive. Failed. I used a toaster (don't know exact tech term) and it picked it up. Disk Utility was finally able to recognize the drive. During the utility repair it was saying that Volume Bit Map/Header needed repair. Utility tried repairing the volume. More errors were eventually found: Invalid file/directory/free block count. It basically said First Aid failed and I was given a message along the lines of: Try setting environment variable: MallochHelp. I tried using my friends hard drive repair software but it was via WIN7 so obviously the process was incompatible. Anyways, are there any commands I could possibly use in Terminal/single user mode to repair whatever is wrong with the drive?

The exact message was: fsck_hfs(360) malloc: *** Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xa4000; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

Sorry this is so long haha. if anyone can help out...tight. if not....tight! Thanks guys!!!!

CAT

Hi and i would like to mention that you have tried several troubleshooting tips to get the data back from the hard drive that you replaced but if you are did not get what you want then you should choose professional application like Mac hard drive recovery software as you have mentioned that Disk Utility also failed. The mac hard drive recovery is capable to recover the data from Mac Hard Drive and give you what you are looking i.e. The data from that hard drive. :D