Boris-Where do i start?

As far as 'where to start, I'd argue that you need to listen to both Amplifier Worship and Rainbow to get a sense of what they're up to.

some notes:

Absolutego, Dronevil, Solomon, Feedbacker, & Flood are all 'one long song' albums. I've listed them in order of 'heaviness', with Flood being the prettiest & most psych-influenced of the bunch.

Amplifier Worship serves as a bridge between those sludgy epics and the psych-punk of Heavy Rocks, Akuma No Uta, & Pink. It sounds like a Khanate LP played on '45 and is fucking awesome.

Heavy, Akuma, & Pink all sound like a mix of Venom and The Stooges. Vein takes the Venom influence to it's natural conclusion while Smile opts for The Stooges/Iggy. After that, things will be hit-or-miss depending on your taste.

They also have a ton of 'collaborations'. Rainbow (w Michio Kurehara) is gorgeous, Altar (w Sunn) is equally epic. Those two are sort of a day/night pair. The albums with Merzbow are prob good if you like Merzbow, and the BXI collab is fucking awful - don't go anywhere near it.

The drone stuff is what I enjoy the most (aren't atleast one or two of them trained in 20th century classical and avant garde? I'm probably wrong, but it would make sense). Not to derail the thread, but for those who enjoy the 1 song albums that are an hour long, since Merzbow has been mentioned, there's a record in the SYR series where he does an hour long collaboration with Sonic Youth and it's completely mind blowing.

The drone stuff is what I enjoy the most (aren't atleast one or two of them trained in 20th century classical and avant garde? I'm probably wrong, but it would make sense). Not to derail the thread, but for those who enjoy the 1 song albums that are an hour long, since Merzbow has been mentioned, there's a record in the SYR series where he does an hour long collaboration with Sonic Youth and it's completely mind blowing.

I know that they initially met each other at an art school they went to, but other than that i'm not too sure. I definitely need to check out that Merzbow collaboration.

i'm listening to some of the Sunn o)))/Boris "Altar" songs, and i dig what i hear so far. What do you Boris fans think of the album?

Amazing, epic, haha. It's really great. If given the chance you should find a way to listen to all versions of The Sinking Belle song. It ultimately adds to the whole collaboration greatly.

I tend to differ from other folks in that I really enjoy female vocals and in particular the ones that are usually found buried in shoegaze stuff, so the album was right up my alley. What were yr thoughts on it? I know it's a night and day difference between their other stuff but I think that lends to their versatility that they can pull it off.

I tend to differ from other folks in that I really enjoy female vocals and in particular the ones that are usually found buried in shoegaze stuff, so the album was right up my alley. What were yr thoughts on it? I know it's a night and day difference between their other stuff but I think that lends to their versatility that they can pull it off.
I can honestly say the same thing. I've always been a fan of stuff like that, so naturally i'd love it. I also feel like it has a sense of drone parts thrown in there as well, which i love.