Paleo Diet

What is paleo spaghetti sauce? All spaghetti sauce is crushed/dice tomatoes, onions, and oil oil and maybe some seasonings. Tell me what is not 'paleo' about it?

And maybe part of why I can't truly buy into this diet is because people who are really into do crossfit. While I do crossfit style workout and like the concept, I hate the culture those places have.

Yeah, there you go that's fine. Just don't buy Prego or some other pre-made spaghetti sauce with all the extra preservatives and ingredients with names that are hard to pronounce.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched a Netflix documentary on diet the other day that made a pretty good point about human diet -- you have Inuit people who survive on almost nothing but fat and protein to Asians who eat a rice based diet to rainforest dwellers who eat tons of nuts, and none of them have obesity problems like the US.

They claimed that the key to being healthy was a balanced diet of whole, unprocessed foods, not a specific list of "can" and "can't" eat foods. Can't really argue with that.

I'm definitely going to focus on going organic with my food as much as possible. I don't really mind paying 40% more for my foods, I just wish there was something really close to me so that I could just swing by and pick up food every couple days. I have to go pretty far out of my way to get to trader joes or a farmer's market.

"Hungry for Change". I don't think it was anything groundbreaking. Processing foods is bad, by far the worst thing with processed food is the amount of sugar that is in every kind of man-made food. The end lost me (the last 15 minutes or so) when they started with this "if you visualize yourself as thin it will help you lose weight" stuff. But it was a decent watch.

I'd try to mess around with it if you could, I actually just tried my town, and the CSA I used to belong to that did drop off's like two streets away didn't come up. But I know there are a lot of good resources there. Or you could ask next time you get to a farmer's market if any of the farmers do a CSA or drop off.

As far as partial sunlight I think you'll be able to be successful with most stuff grown in home gardens, it can kind of be a trial and error thing. A local organic farmer told me a few years ago the best ones for partial sunlight are most greens (kale, chard, lettuce (most kinds), spinach, etc; as well as most root vegetables (onions, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, beets, etc) as well as herbs (parsley, rosemary, basil, etc).

I know for the garden in my backyard, which gets like 6 good hours of sunlight and is also obstructed by trees as I live in a pretty woodsy area, the things that have grown most successfully have been:

zucchini, potatoes, carrots, kale, lettuce, herbs, arugula, swiss chard, onion, pepper, string beans, and oddly enough strawberries.

I fail at tomatoes every year, I can't figure them out...

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this thread 'cause it's been a while.  Anyone have any more good recipes/things to make?  I just discovered cauliflower rice a few days ago and have been absolutely addicted.

i use cauliflower rice when i make primal jambalaya and also chicken stew.

one thing i really enjoy for breakfast is throwing in some pieces of sausage, brocoli, some peppers, and seasoning and mixing it with scrambled eggs.